Wednesday, November 22, 2023

42

 My cousin Vanessa is our family’s statistician/amateur genealogist… She has gathered the stories of our elders as she exhaustively documents our family gatherings. I’m thrilled to report that Z & V were ON TIME as we were being ushered onto the front porch for The Annual Family Portrait. There were 42 of us gathered together, an auspicious number especially if you’re a Douglas Adams fan!

My cousin Clifford’s wife (unspecified metastatic cancer was found to be the cause of her back pain & immobility last summer; she has had radiation therapy & oral chemotherapy) made it out of her house - it was a bittersweet moment when she hobbled over to greet my mom. Very strange to contemplate that Mom will likely outlive Marilyn - everyone seemed pleasantly surprised that my mom had graced us with her presence, even though she became restive shortly after our bountiful luncheon, I took her back home about 2:30, then bounced back in an attempt to spend a little more time with my cousins - however, the celebration was dispersing by the time I returned (shortly before 4 PM)

My cousin Rick's widow is downsizing: clearing out my aunt & uncle's sprawling ranch-style home since it's far too large for her needs as the "last resident standing": Ann & Rick moved in with Aunt Sue after Uncle Willie passed away (easy for me to remember with my post-Z timeline: Z was 6 wks old in 1998). Rick was their eldest son, who was tasked with caretaking their youngest, cousin Steve who had the mentality of a 4-5 yr old. Unfortunately Rick himself passed away in 2011 (heart attack), then Steve in 2018 (cancer), followed by Aunt Sue in 2021, leaving Ann all alone in that huge house. I have not been able to get up there to help on any of her big weekend clean-outs - she brought a box of assorted photos & a set of Zelda the bulldog books I had given my aunt over the years. I left the big photo album with my mom but I’ll post some highlights of a young cowgirl - ex & I took our ponies for multiple visits back in the day…


3 comments:

  1. It's that time of life for us, isn't it? Yes, 42! An omen? A good one!

    Much love and peace and blessings wished for you and yours as you navigate the holidays and the changing family portraits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome family reunion and I'm so glad your mom went. Lots of changes over the years. Lots of loved ones lost. I look forward to the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you all got there! It's nice to be able have gifted things re-gifted back to you.

    ReplyDelete