Friday, September 8, 2023

All I Can Hear IS The Music

 I have become absolutely obsessed with the Oppenheimer movie… I found a discussion forum, downloaded the soundtrack, and yesterday afternoon (despite my long list of things I **OUGHT** to be doing) I snuck up into the big city to catch an afternoon matinee. It was glorious.

Peran and I were jammed into the front row of a small sold-out theatre for our first viewing, which left us with cricks in our necks. On this occasion, I went to the Alamo Drafthouse which serves food and drinks; however, their Lamar Street location was having problems with their AC, so they referred me to their East Dallas theatre which was about 20 minutes away. I arrived early with plenty of time to order my food and luxuriate in the almost-empty theatre. I believe there were three other patrons. Seeing the expansive vistas of New Mexico again brought tears to my eyes - I couldn’t help but miss my dear old friend Roger as I recalled my own experiences riding out there. It was a great mini-escape from reality which was just what I needed. Everything about this movie is superb: the story, the actors, the cinematography, the soundtrack… One early segment is titled “Can You Hear the Music?” as Oppie visualizes chemical reactions, sine waves & other natural phenomena as he “does his thing” with quantum physics. Now it seems all **I** can hear is that music, I could have a worse soundtrack these days…

Our lab courier must have another part-time job as a baggage handler (remember those old American Tourister commercials?) because Annie’s blood tubes got broken in transit; I will resubmit this morning to see if I can figure out the mysteries of Why This Little Mare is So Spooky. My farrier Henry came out for long-overdue hoof trimming, but we didn’t even try with her - I will see if she will let me rasp off some rough edges.

Kristy’s mom has emerged from what I can only presume with some sort of adverse drug reaction, so hopefully I will have a full staff today as our summer heat continues unabated.



4 comments:

  1. The movie does sounds very intriguing. I read that it is a true story and, if so, I assume it's a little on the messy side on the personal front.

    My former best friend/boss moved from here to Farmington, New Mexico when her former husband had a mid-life crisis. He worked in Chama, New Mexico as an engineer there on the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. Later they divorced and she remarried and moved to Grand Junction, Colorado and still lives there. She tried to talk us into moving to New Mexico and sang it's praises.

    Poor Annie. I hope you can find some answers.

    I am very fond of John Wayne movies. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Oppenheimer is a "biopic" - a cinematic biography taking a few artistic liberties, but fundamentally A True Story (especially in regards to the political machinations which evicted Oppenheimer from his position at Los Alamos which I found most intriguing - there again, Robert Downey Jr was a superb antagonist, I think I could watch him read the phone book!)

      Delete
    2. Robert Downey Jr. is a very good actor. I guess when you start out doing it as a child it helps. It's nice to see someone go through a rough period like he did and then get his life back together. Major success story.

      Delete
  2. OK, now I have to go find the movie locally here. Kid sis dragged me to Barbie, but I have yet to see Oppenheimer, and that history was not that long before my birth.

    Oh, and I had to smile at the John Wayne meme... he always reminds me of my mom and her dad. Her dad went off to WWII when she was 12, I think, and we always had that "John Wayne" vibe surrounding him. He served in the South Pacific, so yes, Oppenheimer fits right in.

    ReplyDelete