Friday, September 1, 2023

Fortiter Ad Metam

 (Now I got A’s in HS Latin, but this motto had me scratching my head - according to Tenney (ride mgr) it means “Strength to the End”, but Google translates it as “Bravely to the Finish”)

Insert bastardized Latin phrase of your choice here - but I’m trying to hold my head up & keep pacing forward. I can’t help but scan everyone’s beautiful photos on social media as I read of last week’s ride results in CO, then try to avoid complete despair as I see this year: 1987

This was the year Dr M’s son was born. In 1987, I completed my second year of vet school, having learned horrible things about the character of my first husband. The summer job market was tight and so I left College Station for the summer to return to Dallas and earn some money working. All I remember there again, was just trying to get through tough times.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/matthew-major-obituary?id=52985921

Matt was riding a scooter (unknown if it was his own or one of those little rentals) when he was hit by a utility truck and killed instantly. He was an organ donor, so hopefully several lives were saved and improved by his sacrifice. I can only imagine the depths of his parents’ and his young wife’s despair and grief.

But for now I’ve got to get myself moving and do my duty at work - I’ll sneak away this weekend to ride a few miles with my friends.




2 comments:

  1. I hated high school Latin. I took a year of it but transferred half way through the year to another town and school and was lost as all the new teacher seemed to care about was conjugating verbs. I had taken 2 years of French before that and then 2 years of Spanish after that. I year of German in college. I remember very little but the Spanish. It was the only thing that was practical to take and that I enjoyed.

    Matthew looked like a fun guy. He was handsome and capable. Such a loss.

    I hope the ride this weekend is a good one. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so sad when anyone dies in an accident; there have been many in my life who have. None worse that friends' children, no matter how old they are.

    Love the Latin. My mother made a needlework sign for a lawyer-friend's office in a beautiful script. "Nothi petendam"
    Sue the bastards!

    ReplyDelete