Sunday, July 9, 2023

Old Dog Lacking New Tricks

 … as my packing and loading for NM sputters along in its normal haphazard fashion. A few spatters of rain this morning disrupting the process, but at least it’s keeping the temperatures cooler! Still no word from Christina so I will call or text her this evening; I’ve gone ahead & added Bo to my health certificate/entry permit since that doesn’t cost me anything. I might haul him anyway just to be a buddy for Baraq…

I had the best intentions of going into town for my friend Shana’s yoga class yesterday morning, but I just didn’t sleep well enough Friday night - couldn’t get moving! Her cousin is my friend Janay (one of these days it’s gonna line up for us to meet up at yoga), so she invited me to their family luncheon. It might’ve been a pity move but I ain’t proud! and as it turns out Shana’s mom lives in Rockwall which was like 15 minutes away from the rescue person I’ve been dealing with in rehoming the ball pythons. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone - I got five snakes relocated and also got to see my friends. Shana’s mom is housebound in a wheelchair; Janay transported Aunt Shelley’s older brother (Uncle David) from his nursing home facility in Plano - he can just barely move with a walker & many groans & curses. It was like an R-rated version of Tim Conway’s little old man routine! We now have a new inside joke as he called Janay’s Yorkie “that little f**ker”. Janay, of course, has heard all my tales of woe ongoing in my challenges with my mother - whom I had to go check on thereafter. 

I’ve texted DS three times over these past three days which I don’t believe is excessive? No response. No doubt he will be furious with me when he sees there are only five snakes remaining at Mesquite, but I’ve done what I believe is morally & ethically correct.  I’m going to make arrangements with the lawn guy to feed and water the rats while I’m gone, because I obviously can’t count on my son. When I return, I will disperse the rest of the snakes and the rat colony. I have given Zach fair warning, but if he does not make arrangements for Claude the beaded lizard, I shall take her home with me and he won’t see her again unless he comes to visit her on Sugar Ridge! All these years I thought I was a snake person but I am pretty darn fond of these lizards. Thankfully I have heard no protest from my husband about these extra reptiles in the house. I’m training Bonnie the tegu to Netflix & chill with Mom.



4 comments:

  1. Not only a horse and snake lady, but a lizard gal as well! You are more welcoming than I am, with the reptiles. My older sister kept the bullfrogs that were the "control" ones from biology class, and they would croak in her bedroom terrarium. But, not really my thing. Humane and ethical is a good standard when having to make those tough decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the trip is near!

    I slept nada last night. Bad night and I feel it today. I hope you are doing better than me.

    Good job on the snakes. So nice that they will have a stable home.

    I really like yorkies so I'm not sure what to make of that comment. LOL.

    Why would Z be furious with you? He has practically abandoned them. If he is interested in them why doesn't he take them home with him?

    I'm not a snake person but I do love lizards. Bonnie is adorable. Benny even is into Bonnie. She is so pretty. Of course he does like lizards too and we, at one point, considered getting one. We also love turtles. And amphibians like frogs and toads. Our bullfrogs were very happy last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it won't be full-blown fury on Z's part, just exasperation: "Mom, those snakes were worth XYZ!" at which point I will carefully explain to him that the snakes are only worth as much as someone is willing to PAY for them, and at this point it appears the ball python market is bottomed out! I really like the sole remaining large breeding-size female (she laid a clutch of infertile eggs last fall & is mildly debilitated; I've been getting her built back up), but at some point my husband is going to speak up about the cages multiplying in the upstairs bedroom...
      Yorkies have a bad reputation w/us vets - some are good, but some are very very BAD bcz they were never trained properly

      Delete
    2. Z is young and most of us, including me, were like him when we were younger. With age, comes wisdom. Men tend to over value things anyway. My hubby is that way and I tend to think just like you. Something is only worth how much someone will pay for it. Millennials seem to like reptiles a lot but only about half of them own houses and a lot of landlords won't rent to people with pets, especially snakes. Most on my relatives who owned tons of rental properties didn't. I recall one of our renters in one of the rental apartment units had a snake and it got loose and the other renters were in a tizzy about it. I hope P will be patient about this. We all understand and approve of what you are doing. You can't just turn these pets out into the wild - a nurse I knew was overrun with some kind of small rodents and released them in the local park. Horrible. Her SIL who was an animal lover and had snakes was mortified and told me about it.

      I guess all of the Yorkies I have known have had responsible pet owners. Personally, I have only had 3 dogs in my life and all were trained by our family. I am a responsible pet owner and our exotic vet told us he wished he could clone us. Pets are family members and need to be treated like it in every way. My dogs were awesome. Everyone loved them. And all of my other pets were good too.

      Delete