Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Pilates & Possums

 A different, milder soreness after a restorative Pilates workout (this reminds me to book my next session because it’s a small studio and they get booked up days in advance - I won’t be home in time to make next Sunday’s restorative class but I need to squeeze in two more to use my new client start-up pass before it expires) - I tried to duplicate some of the stretches to get that nice spinal release, which wasn’t as easy without their little sliding contraption - the Reformer…

Joseph Pilates worked as a nurse during World War I and created his equipment to help patients who were still bedbound begin their rehabilitation,  so Lord knows it should be able to help someone as completely deconditioned as I am!  I didn’t want to gawk like a tourist (snapping photos) but there are springs of various intensities which you hook to the platform to change the resistance. I look forward to more experience with it. I also follow a YouTube Pilates physical therapist who does not use equipment (floor exercises only) - but the exercises she does are difficult for me:  I’m out of shape & my posture is atrocious - the muscles she’s asking me to use just don’t work properly!
And in other news, we rescued a litter of baby possums when Zach’s damn dog killed their mama, who was minding her own business in his wood pile. We’ve lost 2 who were also injured in the attack but I’m still nursing along the six survivors. My time with Zach is more limited these days, but I gain insight from poetry (I know I’ve posted this before)





8 comments:

  1. I have not been in a gym since college. I'm sure they are much nicer now.

    The baby possums are cute. Six of them should keep everyone busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, these are "teenage" possums (10-11 wks old), so they are almost fully weaned & will be ready for release as soon as weather warms up a little more and I am assured that they are eating well (any day now in other words)

      Delete
    2. I think Texas possums are cuter than Illinois possums. LOL. But them most baby animals are cute to me. With a few exceptions. LOL.

      Delete
    3. Oh, for sure ALL babies are cute! It must be what keeps us all moving forwards...

      Delete
  2. I love the poem, it is full of truth, and truth can comfort a mum! Cute possums... hope they launch well into the wild and that the dog involved learns better, although it's hard to train out instinct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My elder daughter is multi-certified Pilates instructor. She works with me on the Reformer and some other contraptions. I wouldn't take her mat class as I'm not as flexible as some of her clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to my first full Reformer session, which I just booked for next Monday night (gulp!). As you can see in the photo, there are plenty of ancillary items like Bosu balls (which I was famous for falling off of with my previous trainer) - I can always say I'm there to provide their comic relief ;-) !

      Delete
    2. Sweet! There are a whole lot of other tools in her arsenal. They have the standard, old school Reformer equipment, one called the Cadillac, that reminds me very much of a hospital traction set-up. Sometimes I'm more worn out with her workout than my hour in the gym with weights!

      Delete