Monday, December 19, 2022

Peaceful Easy Feelin’

 The lil’ jukebox in my head played this old Eagles song as I drove back from Glen Rose Saturday afternoon - unfortunately it (my own "peaceful easy feeling") only lasted as long as the drive home, although Baraq & I had a very pleasant ride. Sam was my sole riding buddy - I didn’t seem to be able to scare up anyone else this close to Christmas! This holiday behemoth stumbles towards me, I have done practically nothing in preparation!

I have spent an ungodly amount of time on hold with customer service representatives - online ordering is supposed to make our lives easier, is it not? Insert ironic laugh here - I had Friday off, tried to do a little Christmas shopping but just couldn’t get “into it”… Met up with son for dinner, yet caught shit from hubby when I then returned home later than P expected. I had called the man to give him a heads up - I knew he wouldn’t want to come meet us and he said he was going back to the gym?!? Damned if I will sacrifice any opportunity to spend time with my son - maybe one of these years P will realize that.

Thursday I had a quick “oil check” visit with my doctor and embarrassed myself by spilling my guts about some of my marital problems - she did ask me how I was feeling after all! I am afraid 12 months into this ordeal (my car accident was 12/03, Covid exposure probably 12/29 with “The Longest Haul” starting end of January/first of February) this may be “As Good As It Gets”, so I need to make the best of it. 

Clarice continues to perform her best “dead dog” impressions as she relaxes in her bed - causing me to tiptoe over multiple times, wondering “Is this it?” with her little neck at an awkward angle. I’m going to take her to visit the Animal Diagnostic Clinic next week - I’d like to do another scan to see what Ye Olde Pancreas looks like! I took her picture this AM, but iPhone and iPad don’t seem to be talking to one another - but I can post a few photos from our ride.

                                          Trail photo of Sam & Thunder doesn't do the place justice
                                                       Fording the Paluxy River
                                    Ranch owner is building nice paddocks, suitable for overnight campouts
                                            Easy access to trails behind his hay barn
                                                       Hilltop cross overlooking Glen Rose
                                       This cowgirl bears startling resemblance to Scarlett Johansson
                                             Mila's first visit with Santa & Mrs Claus!
                                                      Stiff competition for #1 Lap Warmer
Finally got "dead dog" photo to download ;-)






5 comments:

  1. I love that song!!

    We have not done anything for Xmas. We need to send our son some money and a card, I guess. Maybe a few others.

    P knew you had a son when you married. Being a step parent is a hard road to travel. Being a step-child is too. Many of us would not choose to do either. I have been a step-child. Not much fun and some of my step-parents were great people. Some were not. I think it's good that you told your doctor. You have a lot of stress from every direction. Someone needs to be in your corner.

    Loved the photos. So glad Baraq got to go. And Sam is a great guy to go.

    Little Clarice is one tough cookie. She and Blocker are sisters.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sad & disheartening thing about the P & Z situation is: a large part of how P won my cynical, world-weary heart came from when we were first dating. When he invited me to "cross the pond" to meet his family, of course my first question was what about Zach? to which P replied "It's a package deal isn't it?" And it was, for many happy years - but I'm afraid P thought life would get easier/less complicated as Z grew into adulthood, versus the reality which is that I will continue to invest my time, energy, and resources into my son, as long as I am able... Z deserves the same "head starts in life" that I was lucky enough to receive (college education, investments in vehicles, living arrangements and so forth)

      Delete
  2. LOL, she looks comfortable. I hope you've enjoyed her 'extra time'.
    Do something happy for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mila does not seem to have fazed Santa and Mrs. Claus one whit. And Clarice is looking about as relaxed as possible. Sweet girl!

    Glad you got a ride in, even if it was just two riders! And I'm also glad your doctor asked and that you were comfortable enough with her to answer truthfully.

    Gently onward, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well of course I did **ASK** Santa if he was cool with a python after the steady onslaught of puppy dogs! But he thought I was talking about a small ball python - he was in awe of 8-foot Mila!

      Delete