Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Bah Humbug

 Aka “Forcing Ye Olde Holiday Spirit”!

This evening is our Dallas Jingle Bell Run, a huge raucous family-and-dog-friendly event near downtown. I’m in no shape to do a 5K, but I’m going to go anyway and take Izzy. Couldn’t interest P in going but one of my yoga students actually talked me into it - we’ll both be casual amblers. Izzy and I will probably hit the cutoff and just do the 1 mile fun loop.

In years past I’ve jogged it with Buddy-dog (carrying Clarice like a football, the following year I made her wait in the car! Clarice has never been into strenuous exercise ;-) but my last time to toe the line in Big D was 2018 with my darling Amelia. I’m sorry to say I only got to enjoy two 5K events with her: the Jingle Bell Run & the Polkafest Run here in Ennis. So I might have a tear or two tracking down my cheek, but I can blame my eyes watering on the cold wind. It will be nice to see the Anatole decked out for the holidays, a little “forced holiday cheer” is better than nothing!

Last night Zach invited me for a brief holiday shopping expedition at North Park - Victoria has a few days off and the kids are going to go to Denver, winter jackets were needed. But I believe my boy is double-dipping  - he now wants to celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas! However since he passed calculus, I feel he has earned the extra gifts. Words cannot describe my relief…

After her initial orientation period, Victoria has been switched to overnight shifts so she will work tonight and she and Zach will hop a plane tomorrow morning to go to Denver for four days. I hope all goes well with their return on Christmas Day.

We have hiked many a mile in NorthPark Mall - I remember the pecan reindeer team from MY childhood!
Taco Time! Velvet Taco offers quite the eclectic assortment: chicken tikka marsala, fish & chips, chicken & waffle, chicken pot pie (L to R)
Say hello to my little friend - tiny baby scorpion in my shower. I wish I could've posted video of him angrily wringing his tail & gesticulating with his pincers - he was trying to make himself big & scary






3 comments:

  1. First off, hooray on Zach passing calculus!
    Two holidays are always better than one. I enjoyed all the family, food, and fun when celebrating Hanukkah with my my friends.
    A walk is a walk. Celebrate the movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome win on the calculus course, Zach! Most folks I know who have mixed households do celebrate both holidays. My niece, brought up Jewish by her mother, always expected a Christmas tree from her dad! Of course THIS year she's a grown woman, married, and in isolation with the Covid! Sigh. So, a quiet holiday for the young couple.

    I can totally understand the tears at the athletic event last done with a loved companion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope little Izzy enjoys the run/walk.

    Thank God Zack passed calculus! Worst class ever and so useless for most people.

    Those tacos sound great!

    ReplyDelete