Wednesday, September 23, 2026

“Sanity”

 Only time for a “quickie” this morning side as I juice up for my workday & survey the short stack of self-help books I have bought to ease me into this new phase of reality with my adult son…

“SANITY” is one author’s acronym, which I really like - with some skepticism over the “Y” - “Yield everything to God”?!? Unfortunately this brings back grim memories of our (Z & myself) forced participation in 12-step addiction programs which have a phenomenally low success rate. ANYWAY -

I will start diving into these resources today; hopefully they are helpful as I adjust to this new reality. Z called me Saturday night (I was in San Antonio at the state veterinary conference with my girls; a very good time was had by all!) to let me know that his good friend/former roommate Josef had been arrested for marijuana possession plus an outstanding traffic ticket. (He probably would’ve been led off with a warning for the pot if he had just paid the previous fine) I spoke to him Monday, advising him to hire a good lawyer because the one thing he cannot afford is to wind up with a felony conviction. This could tank his career prospects permanently!

I came racing back from San Antonio Sunday afternoon, just in time to take Karen out for a slightly-belated 60th birthday dinner for her (her birthday was Saturday). A court date has not yet been set for her eldest daughter’s assault hearing - C & M got into a drunken brawl where the sheriff was called. Younger sister has a restraining order against Melissa; M is couch-surfing while Karen continues to raise her granddaughter. (It’s been a mess)

But we had a great time at the state veterinary conference - you can always teach an old dog new tricks! I managed to stump along slowly with my hiking staff & did what I needed to do with many rest breaks. Tomorrow I return for a follow-up visit with my cardiologist, not that I think he’ll have much help for me - I foresee a referral to a pulmonologist next.

S = stop enabling, stop blaming yourself & stop the flow of money

A = assemble a support group

N = nip excuses in the bud

I = implement rules & boundaries

T = trust your instincts

Y = yield everything to God (mkay, as I said I will read with an open mind)

Updates to follow!



No comments:

Post a Comment