Sunday, October 4, 2026

The Pursuit of Happyness

 I remain as firmly convinced now as I was 35 yrs ago when I first took up the sport, that the purpose of endurance riding is to help one appreciate first world luxuries. “The little things”: flush toilets, hot showers, air conditioning in the summer & heat in the winter… Granted, I do enjoy those amenities in my little “home away from home”, the RV-style living quarters in my horse trailer - but once I step out the door, I am at Mother Nature’s mercy.

I had originally signed up to do the 25 miler at yesterday‘s endurance event, but wisely downgraded to an intro as we finally received several weeks’ worth of precipitation in the form of torrential rains yesterday! 9” in Athens - the ride was called off at 1:30 PM as trail conditions were becoming treacherous. Twoie & I soldiered through our 10-mi loop which took about 3 hrs as our average speed took a precipitous drop about halfway in, when the deluge commenced. I started the ride with 3 NATRC friends who had come across to “see how the other half lives”. C made the astute observation to me as we trotted down the road that I needed a better sports bra - yes ma’am, I do! I actually own 2 of the heavy-duty, Brunhilda-style contraptions - I told her I had to let the weather get a little cooler bcz they are so hot & cumbersome…

I rode the second half of the ride with a nice young lady on her stout Appaloosa mare & her daughter on a darling pinto pony…. The trails were running ankle-deep in water like miniature rivers - someone sarcastically posted about “Athens whitewater river rafting”. (The city of Athens itself suffered some significant flooding) I will post some photos when the technology cooperates.

It’s just as well that Catie had a marching band event (for all I know, that may have been rained out too?) and Christina had an in-law family reunion. I had about 6 hrs of “forced leisure” as I watched the rain pour down**, but by about 6:30 the rains had receded - as I watched two other big rigs get out, I knew I could too. My neighbor Blake had been competing in the 50-mi championship but was pulled at 43 miles. He told me he will be granted a completion & they will use some sort of formula to determine the placements. **I was very lonely in my trailer as dear little Tina Fea suffered a massive seizure 10 days ago, which obviously inflicted irreparable brain damage - she became comatose & passed away peacefully the next day. Tears were shed, but I certainly did my best to give her a good life in the relatively short time I had her (22 months). I doubt she’d have lasted through the end of that day if we hadn’t managed to capture her on the backstreet of Ennis!

I had company in my trailer Friday night, since my friend Carla (who was serving as steward for the championship ride) needed a place to sleep. It was great to see her but I didn’t sleep especially well - I was grateful to get home last night to my own bed. I am interviewing candidates for my next camp dog. Izzy, of course, graciously volunteered but I need to get things set up for her…

Dude the Dobie-doo would love love LOVE to be a camp dog, but that would be a lot! I can hardly take a step around the house without Dude being glued to me like a stick-tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment