Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Quick Update

 Well I’m happy to say Zach’s ill-will didn’t last very long - he actually called me Monday evening as I had stopped to take pictures of our creek which was cresting to almost overflow the bridge… Photos don’t do it justice but I’ll download a few later. One of these years (in warm weather) I’m gonna catch the creek at the right time and take a canoe to the north-end bridge to traverse this stretch of the creek (roughly 5 miles) - it should be fun!

My cousin John had a similar adventure, running a section of Bois D’arc Creek many years ago - it’s how he developed his love of canoeing. We took a couple of canoe trips when Zach was Cub scouting, those are fond memories. John is going to bring two of his young adult children to our Priefert Ranch ride in a couple of weeks so I can mount them up on Silas and Alex-mule and hopefully show them a good time. (John was ready to put his toe in the stirrup himself, but like a good father he will sacrifice his ride since I only have a three-horse trailer. I joke all the time to Peran that I should’ve bought the four horse model!)

And I have some good stories to tell about the blonde lady on the big gray horse in previous photo who is being ponied to the gate by her “valet”, but I’ll have to catch up on that a little later. Time to slug down the rest of my coffee and get to work!


Cindy’s granddaughter riding past some of the beautiful live oaks down by the river last weekend. I didn't get to ride w/Jetta but I was very proud of her - she got tossed on Saturday, her mare stepped on her leg & bruised her badly (mom ran her into ER for X-rays). She got right back out there Sun morning to complete her ride!

**********************************************************




& here is our innocuous little creek overflowing its banks after MORE heavy rains Sun night - still photos do not do powerful floodwaters justice! But it's all surging down into the mighty muddy Trinity...

4 comments:

  1. You are so right about still photos and floodwaters! A jetboat trip up the Snake River between Washington, Oregon, and Idaho comes to mind for me.

    I have to say that Cindy's granddaughter won her badge for equestrian bravery with that recovery!

    I hope you do get to do that canoe jaunt one day when weather and water allow for it! There's something about a destination paddle.

    Hope you have a great rest of the week!
    - Barb (OKM)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Zach!

    I love canoeing too. We almost bought one but didn't as hubby has never done it before. That is quite a creek!!

    Jetta is doing great!

    So nice your cousin and some of his kids are coming. It should be fun! I miss my cousin all of the time. She was my best friend as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I joke all the time that I don’t have siblings, I have cousins! which I know isn’t technically true anymore, but it was still the truth for me throughout most of my life since I only learned of the existence of my half-sister in 2020. I remain very dejected over our all-too-brief acquaintance but that reminds me to get my niece an Easter card in the mail

      Delete
    2. I have a half-brother but we were not raised together and he is 15 years younger than me and has no use for me and never did. I have virtually no cousins either as the 2 I have don't have any interest in me - they are also a lot younger. I'm easy to ignore.

      Delete