Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Back to the Future

 (Loved the first movie, as I do any reasonably quirky, entertaining & engaging sci-fi time travel romp, but the sequels grew progressively sillier - I’ve never even seen BTTF3)

But anyway, this time change is killing me - here we are going into Day 4; my sleep remains disrupted as I sit here groggily clutching my coffee cup in a death grip.

We cleaned out Bertha (the mobile unit) as we moved into the front half of our remodeled clinic… still a lot of work to do but so far it’s fabulous to be able to stretch out and have a little more S*P*A*C*E!!! I was just skimming emails and laughing at myself when I reviewed my latest missive to my cousin: I mentioned how I’d like to start going to the gym again “when things settle down”. On Monday, I did have half an hour for lunch, but yesterday I had about 20 minutes! I should be grateful that we’re this busy** as I’ve got to reinstate the positive cash flow: today’s project will be seeing if a buyer is still interested in Bertha and if so, I need to get her down the street to the shop to have her catalytic converter replaced which was stripped out by vandals in Red Oak. (That should be in the neighborhood of $4K) She’s also sitting on two flat tires which I think just need airing up - Ronald had put new tires on her before we drove her back from Florida. She’ll make a good base of operations for somebody - mobile veterinary life just ain’t for me! I prefer working out of a central home base, even though it’s nice to get out occasionally for a farm call.

** my buddy in Houston has hit a slump; she’s been sending staff home early when they have nothing to do

Several clients came out to help us Friday afternoon during our move and thankfully, our husbands showed up to manage some of the heavy lifting. I’ll post some photos soon!



Another good photo of Jonni negotiating the gully obstacle - I’m the shadowy figure in the grey sweatshirt in the background; I was checking metabolics before riders descended into the gully

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, LOVE the bottom photo! Up the hill, then through the tree tunnel... and peace in nature!

    Good to see you're making progress with your new digs, and here's hoping that cash flow gets a-moving along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about the time change. Brutal. I wish they would go permanently to DST but I know others would like to go to Standard Time permanently or keep switching. The problem being that Americans can't agree on anything.

    Wonderful news about you moving in!!! Things are looking up. Best news I've had in ages!! Now I am praying that Bertha sells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly we just need to pick a lane! I, too, would prefer being on DST permanently but judging by how increasingly hard this time change is on my aging bod, perhaps it would be better if we stayed on Standard Time like Arizona? I despise this feeling of “starting out late”…
    (Val)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want daylight at 4 A.M. I am a morning person but like the extra light in the evenings. The problem is that the more north you get the shorter daylight hours are anyway. SAD is something that most of us here suffer from in Winter.

      Delete
    2. No doubt in my mind that I suffer from varying degrees of SAD - my moods in general are MUCH worse in the winter. Those weeks where it seems I'm getting up before daybreak and getting home after dark are HORRIBLE!
      It is very nice that I've cut about 20 min off my commute, so oftentimes as the days are lengthening, I'll arrive home to evening sunbeams slanting across my living room. It makes me a little more hopeful that "Spring is Coming" :-)

      Delete
    3. I can relate to the being in the dark all the time. I used to have to be at work at 5 am and work till 4:30 pm so I was driving to work in the dark and driving home in almost near dark conditions. A shorter commute sounds really good. I like living in rural areas but it is not all that convenient.

      Delete