Tuesday, March 19, 2024

60 Years + 1 Month

 … is my age today and I’m feeling every minute of it! I suppose I’m putting up a brave front - I had a Zoom call last night with one of my younger colleagues (50’ish), who is researching putting together some sort of mental health initiative/work life balance for veterinarians. She had advertised for volunteers in one of my Facebook groups and I joked that I’d be happy to participate if she didn’t think this crusty ol’ Aggie would skew the statistics too much!

I was pleasantly surprised by my outward appearance as I had to look at myself during the Zoom call - I looked a lot better than I felt at that point in the evening! (It was scheduled for 8 PM so I’d had about an hour of recuperation in my recliner) I had also just gotten off a brief chat with my SIL Reva - a brief consult on her aging Boxer, so perhaps I was still a little juiced from that? It’s nice to feel loved and appreciated. Like that old song goes, I guess they can just keep on using me until they use me up.

I cringed inwardly when I saw Cindy K’s number (ride manager for this weekend) pop up on my phone yesterday afternoon - I knew what she was going to ask before I answered the phone. Sure enough, she’d like me to work a day and ride a day - at least that solves my dilemma about the wisdom of trying to ride both days! (I’d like to, but I think that would be pushing my limits physically with having to haul back Sunday night) At least at the endurance event, no one will question my “judgment”; I will be well-fed and moderately well-compensated. And as a staff member I can go hang out in the lodge!

Once again, got to finish my coffee and get on with my workday to get that much closer to the weekend.


Here is my outlaw Kwan - haven’t had the time to tame him down properly but he sho’ is cute!!! I offered him to a Facebook friend but she respectfully declined

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on looking better than you felt? You are a youngster in my book, and on a par with my kid sis Alicia, who is "not allowed to be 60" according to me! Love the peek at Kwan. You are right, he is cute!

    Hope your weekend event strikes just the right balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said yesterday that I felt 100. Today I feel 45. I guess it evens out. A mental health support group for vets is a great idea.

    Keep in mind that everyone looks better when they are smiling. You are loved an appreciated. I would not spend my time on people I don't feel that way about.

    Sounds like this weekend ride will be the right kind for you.

    Kwan is cute!

    ReplyDelete