Tuesday, March 26, 2024

The Measure of a Man

 My son is striving so hard to Be A Man, so I must breathe deeply & keep repeating to myself that he’s trying to help, he’s TRYING to help! And granted, I stepped in it - I should’ve given him a heads-up about the sale of the Mesquite house - but really, really, REALLY wanted to carefully explain my game plan to him face to face. So I likely would’ve spoiled our nice dinner last Wednesday - neither did I want to jump the gun until it was a done deal; the last buyer had all the preliminary paperwork signed and then backed out before closing date could be set.

So we closed on Friday: the title company actually send a mobile notary to my house which was super-duper convenient. I did a quick sale to an investment group - I know I took it on the chin, but I wanted to get my cash out of the house to pay other creditors. I missed the peak of the N Texas real estate market last summer; I held my tongue when Zach was throwing a fit about it because the plain and simple facts are, if he had helped me in dispersing the animals and getting the rest of his shit out of the house, I could’ve sold it last summer and probably netted another $40K. Then, of course, I went out of town for brief respite in horse camp last weekend. There are no secrets in this Internet age - apparently they saw the sale when Andy was showing him how to "check comps".

Zach was upset and embarrassed because Victoria‘s grandparents are both realtors & they got their feelings hurt because I did not enlist their services when “they would’ve done it for free”. There was NO WAY I would’ve taken advantage of them when Adela is still recovering from her broken hip and Andy is in the midst of cancer treatments! $5K in realtor’s fees is fairly inconsequential in the big scheme of things… when I sit metaphorically gripping my head and thinking about the tens of thousands of dollars the Texas Department of Transportation  has cost me, as I said, another $5K is no big deal.

I’ve been managing my own business affairs for almost 27 years now, and I’m not about to quit now. I learned I could trust no one when Michael left and cleared out our joint accounts - he did everything in his power to try to ruin me financially and drive me off the farm. I have never forgotten nor will I forgive that betrayal (not that M has come forward to make amends despite all his claims of becoming a "born again Christian", SNORT! Peran is a good man but we have never merged finances - he gave me a minor jolt last week when I feel as if he lied to my face: we went to dinner & I asked him what the long-range plan is? (as we surge into Month 14 of unemployment for him) He sullenly retorted “Get a job!” but would not elaborate. What if a position at his former level & salary range is not accessible? I know I am extremely privileged; as a veterinarian I’ll never have trouble finding employment even if I completely go bust at the new clinic and have to go to work for one of the corporations.

And speaking of avoiding bankruptcy, I’ve got to get on into work today. I’ll throw out a few pictures from last weekend






That’s Silas and I in the background but I can’t tell you what I’m gesturing at?

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully Zach will get over this quickly. Not to be cruel but there is one person, and only one, who is chiefly affected by this house selling or not selling and that is you. We have all watched you sweat this huge financial burden virtually alone. You are the one doing all of the work, in every way. Zach and Peran have perfected the "work light" system and right now, neither has much credibility to be offering financial advice. If Zach wanted a different outcome he could have been working his tail off to bring this about for quite some time. Nothing to stop him from coming to you and saying, "Mom, I found a buyer for the house willing to pay the asking price". I once set out to hire a real go-getter to sell a nice property for me and ended up with part time hobby realtor who wasn't aggressive. After that I often sold homes myself. Zach's in-law grandparents sounds a little under the weather to fit the bust-tail-for-the-sale group. You are doing your part. Time for other people to step up to the plate. Everyone should be ashamed for you having to bear this entire burden alone. Be part of the solution, not the problem.

    Loved the pictures! Beautiful horses. I can almost smell the horses, which sounds weird but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the ride photos! I'm going to simply second what MorticiaAddams said in her comment. You did what you could, and I'm thinking that was very well! I think it's hard raising sons... being as I have one.

    ReplyDelete