Friday, September 16, 2022

Last Day (for Realz)

 How I hate that term “detox” being applied to every tonic and therapeutic procedure under the sun, but yesterday I applied my own “detox” in the form of a fast. I have read several anecdotal reports in my long-hauler group of extended fasting’s benefits. 

Let me just say, my body was getting rid of something yesterday - I stumbled through the day extremely fatigued, fighting a low-grade headache which waxed and waned. I broke my fast just shy of 24 hours with a bowl of tortilla soup - but I thought nausea was going to overwhelm me after I ate that first bite of avocado! However, it subsided after a couple of minutes and I finished the rest of the bowl without incident. Today, as we work through our Last Official Day in Red Oak, I will follow a similar one-meal-a-day protocol.

Clarice continues soldiering on - weight loss slowly progressing even though her appetite is good. However, she has decided canned food is for sissies, and has settled on a dry enteric formula (Purina EN) which I moisten with warm water. She finishes Antibiotic #3 today and I’ll recheck her bloodwork before we disconnect the lab equipment to move over into Big Bertha.

Monday morning the movers arrive to pack up all non-essential materials into the shipping container while we outfit Big Bertha with what we’ll need to provide basic services while the workshop is being remodeled. So many moving parts! but I think I’m covering the basics (security fencing, power, water, waste disposal).

No time to moan over my financial worries, or discuss the fast-moving complicated situations going on with my kiddos (Zach and his GF, the heartbreak of Alex struggling in TN. I am overextended and cannot do any more!)


My life’s ambition at this point is to survive today, pack up tomorrow to haul 3 hrs away to ride this piney woods trail. Surely Bo and I can knock out 11 miles??

2 comments:

  1. Gee that "last day" got here in a hurry, didn't it? Here's hoping the fast "did the trick" for you, and Clarice is doing amazingly well, all things considered. Here's hoping you survived the day and that you and Bo get a good Piney woods trail ride in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do daily intermittent fasting for as long as my blood sugar can handle it which is not 24 hours or even 16 usually. I can often handle 12 to 14 hours.

    Clarice has decided to spend as much time as she has left with mommy.

    I'm glad to see you still finding time for some R&R.

    ReplyDelete