Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Why Bother?

 Feeling very fatalistic today after "My Vacation That Wasn't" - a precious week off scheduled during which almost NOTHING went according to plan!

A.) Scarlotta lame = no Strawberry Fields ride (nevermind that Ft Stanton canceled to begin with)

B.) Truck in shop, $1100 worth of diesel repairs and we are deemed roadworthy far too late to trek to Arkansas or anywhere significant. At least I had "One Day at Whitney"!

C.) Z continues to need vast quantities of my time - not that I'm complaining but but BUT I remain gravely concerned for his mental health. Nothing to do but continue to monitor...

D.) Slogging through mom's house, which is emotional drain as well as listening to her pleas on an almost-daily basis for "God to come get her"

Careless...

Thursday, August 16, 2012

...oh well, no MATTER that my last blog entry garnered ZERO comments; I do this for myself anyway!

So here I sit, gulping water as fast as I can to quell this awful bilious nausea/heartburn (I'm making a pit stop at my parents' house to spare mileage on my poor lil' Kiamobile - Z is at his freshman orientation, it would be foolish to drive all the way home! I had all the best plans of hitting the gym today, maybe popping in my new yoga DVD - but what in blazes possessed me to stop at the DONUT shop this morning?!?!? I'll tell you - pure irritation/frustration at Z: I hung around after this AM's football practice, planning to take him to lunch but the little ingrate wouldn't come out, claimed he was "fine", he was getting lunch w/his friends - even though I know for a fact that the school cafeteria isn't open today! Which means he's probably scarfing some junk from a vending machine - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... Many times my "lunch" consisted of a bag of chips or a pack of candy way back when, in those ancient days when Mom was a high schooler!)

So it did you a great deal of good to imitate your boy, having a couple of DONUTS for lunch which you are paying the price for now, yuck!

My folks are out of town - my cousin (aka "Surrogate Brother") & his wife have taken 'em on an Early Anniversary Trip to Branson. I spoke to 'em last night & they seem to be having a good time, but obviously Mom took her bottle of Tums w/her. I may have to make an emergency run to Walgreens.

At least I got in a short hike w/the puppies this AM - they were thrilled to be "going places".

(White Rock Lake is only a couple of miles away from Z's high school)

& this is a small neighborhood waterpark, literally directly behind Z's school that I discovered on last night's walk... had me wishing I could jump in!

In many ways I will be GLAD for school to start next week so Z can start riding that school bus; it will save a tremendous amount of mileage on my car/commute time!

And So It Begins

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Despite my assertions last week, I was saddened by our re-entry into the maelstrom of the Mad School Rush this week...

Mostly bcz I didn't get to share in sending my boy off on his First Day (his father enjoyed that privilege since it was "his" weekend). I'll get him back this evening (6 hrs & counting). In many ways, it's more difficult for me to send Z away than it was when he was 2 (not that he ever suffered from the Terrible Twos, not MY boy! ;-)

I see Z struggle w/it as he stares out the car window: [heavy sigh] "I've got to go to my dad's this weekend." I fear for him, holding up under this rigorous schedule, and I fear even more what the future may hold A.) when M gets his letter from TX Attorney General re: increased child support obligations**, and B.) if & when Z finds his voice to speak up & tell his dad that he's ready to step OFF the high-speed treadmill occasionally...

**every week I check in w/their automated system: "Your case is currently in the assessment process. As soon as all information is received..." (this marks when I hang up the phone. No point in rushing Big Government!)

But I did sit down & type up a letter to Z's freshman guidance counselor - in this day & age of electronic communications, I thought an old-fashioned hard-copy letter would be best; something she could slip in his file (let's just hope it's not "the round file" ;-) It's entirely likely Ms B may write me off as just another one of those bitter, vindictive ex-wives, but I feel better having put this in the mail:

(Paraphrased) "...keeping up w/alternate-day scheduling will be even more challenging for Z, since he will be at his father's on Mon nights & alternate weekends. (I seem to be the only mother whose child remains on this overnight-weekday-visitation schedule throughout middle school & now into high school.) ...I hope that Z will prevail - he has shown outstanding fortitude, resilience, adaptability, & intelligence throughout all this. I would be happy to answer any other questions you might have, or provide additional information as needed."

I hope I haven't added to Z's burdens. I recall the many social activities (birthday parties, Cub Scout events, etc) that Z missed out on, the "reprogramming" sessions in which M asserted his dominance, his "right" to monopolize Z's childhood, the times he had Z reduced to tears when he refused to deviate from the court-ordered schedule, and it fills me w/impotent fury.

Z deserves better. I hope to give him as pleasant & memorable a high school experience as I am able during my "55%" (my calculated portion of "managing conservator" time).

"Unfortunately, the Texas Family Code is silent as to visitation when your teenager does not want to see or visit with the non-custodial spouse, in contrast to explicit standards for taking a child's opinion into account on custody determinations." (just pulled off the Internet thanks to my good friend Mr Google)

The Underlying Reason

Saturday, September 01, 2012

I have been listlessly surfing by SP at least once a day, checking my friends' pages but unable to muster time/energy/mental effort to generate my own blog post...

This grueling new HS schedule is kickin my a$$ - both my boy & I were stumbling around like traumatized war veterans yesterday, & then of course I had to send him to his dad's. (Rangers game - a last-minute invite but poor parenting decision! - Wed night, 6:30 AM practice Thurs morning, Z's own FB game Thurs night) Z was bummed out & disgusted that he only got to warm the bench - I was trying to soften the blow for him but I'll have to admit this Momma Bear wasn't happy either! For THIS we've hauled him faithfully to practice, not ONE SINGLE PLAY?!?!? Coach kept the first-stringers in for the entire hard-fought battle against those big-ol' Denton boys (most of the other schools we play do NOT have a dedicated freshman team, so these were JVers) At least we pulled it out 12 - 7 (our kicker hasn't mastered that extra point conversion; w/only 3 min left in 4th qtr we scored another TD or it would have ended up 7 - 6 ) Yep, HS FB at its finest: plenty of fumbles, interceptions & penalty flags flying around with a few shining good plays by each side!

MUCH easier to play sports announcer here, recapping the game, than to turn that perception on MYSELF: why have I only made it by the gym once this week? & SUCH crappy food choices! Hey, I can blame a lot of it on being wicked-busy at work (on a couple of days I had, like 20-min lunch breaks!)... At least I will have a 3-d weekend here to rest & recharge, contemplate the road ahead.

Gotta get out there & feed my restless crew now!

Up Against the Wall

Monday, September 10, 2012

...is what I felt like this AM, when I dragged my weary carcass out of bed after several hrs of drifting in what felt like suspended animation: not fully awake, but not fully asleep either! I heard my husband's snores at 4 AM as if they were coming from a great distance; just not-irritating-ENOUGH to force me to vacate the premises. I jammed my earplugs more tightly in my ears & hugged the farthest edge of the mattress, my little dogs warm against my back.

Needless to say I will be RELIEVED to come home to an empty house tonight. Hub will be back in DC for another 10 d; & I will be strongly tempted to take a sleeping pill & crash around 9 PM for an unprecedented 10-hr marathon of REST. What a concept.

This makes me feel partially like a fraud & a failure, after the correspondence w/Z's guidance counselor & theology teacher about the effed-up weeknight visitation schedule... In this case I am relieved to be responsible for no one but my own self on a Mon evening. (BTW, I have not heard One Word from the guidance counselor which annoys me - she could say: "Lady, you're a mess & I will pray for you!" or practically anything else along the spectrum, all the way down to: "Don't clutter up my inbox w/this nonsense." I even CC'd her on my exchange w/Z's theology teacher, incorrectly presuming she might have some input! Well, maybe she did, just not for ME ;-)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that my cruel work scales had me DOWN 1 lb this AM... Perhaps if I can find the energy for a few gym visits this week, I can start trekking towards the edge of my plateau. And so, Val begins again - how's that ol' Japanese saying go? "Fall down seven times, get up eight"

Thanks, I Needed That!

Monday, September 10, 2012



Oh my GOSH, did I need a good laugh! I have been irritable & short-tempered today, the direct consequence of several-nights'-running of crappy sleep.

Shaking my fist at the universe, since as usual it seems My Life Is Not My Own: most of my schedule seems to be eaten up between my boy's football schedule, my own work demands, trying to check in on my parents, etc. Got in a short ride yesterday which was superb, but like any addict it only makes me want more more MORE! Is it any wonder my house is a wreck, my car a rolling trash heap, my barn approaching a Herculean effort to strip out those filthy stalls?!?!?

Baby steps, I keep on telling myself... (Insert platitude here)

Starting from Zero

Thursday, September 13, 2012

...a title I borrow from Mark Sisson as he kicks off another 21-d Primal Challenge:

www.marksdailyapple.com/
the-primal-blueprint-8-key
-concepts/#more-31101


Never mind that today, Day 2, I ate a 210-cal non-paleo potato skin, but believe me, it coulda been worse! I'm not going to stress about my minor failings - adhering more closely to Robb Wolfe's concept of getting it right 80% of the time. This may seem like more "planning to fail", but in the past if I have tried to be TOO hardcore, it has always backfired on me in spectacular fashion...

I cruised by the big-box store this AM, trying to make the most efficient use of my commute, but came home w/precious few provisions: a big bag of frozen chicken thighs, celery, Greek yogurt, a splurge of nut clusters (again, I'm fully aware they have some added sugar in the glazing, but not TOO bad). I will still need to hit the conventional grocery for veggies & some more protein.

Still trying to get my head on straight: after two-in-a-row of being without my boy, it feels strange to be planning for a Z weekend. Hard to articulate - of course I'm gravely disappointed that I opted out of what will likely be a beautiful MO ride (just couldn't justify a 600-mi haul in my depleted state for a 1-d ride)... Had considered going to the lake to "dual-celebrate" my mom's BD, but Z in selfish teenage fashion declared that he "just wanted to stay home". I don't blame him actually, since he gets zero input into the structure of his days when he's at his father's.

It's truly gratifying to watch how their hard work is paying off as his FB team wiped up the field last night 43 - 0! Z played almost all of the 2nd half on defense, made 3 good tackles, & was one tired but happy young man last night! Even stranger, M was actually POLITE to me, & thanked me for the small packet of school photos I brought him. It made all the difference in the world that She Who Shall Not Be Named wasn't there - on these occasions my ex seems to regain the ability to act like a normal human being!

But for now a nap sounds like an excellent idea, as actual RAIN pelts my windows! Can't say I'm displeased - makes it a little easier to tolerate missing the ride ;-)

Mom Was Right

Monday, September 24, 2012

Raise your hand if your mother told you to avoid getting chilled "because you'll catch a cold"!

Looks like Mom was right; last weekend I attended our state veterinary convention (no "vacation" for me since it was right here in Big D; I briefly considered staying downtown but w/P just getting home from his business trip last Thurs that would have been "bad form", don't you think?) - anyway, they kept those classrooms at meat-locker temperatures! Fortunately I had a light jacket stashed in my car (aka the Krapmobile) even if it was "LSU purple" (caught some trash from one of my old vet school buddies as to WHY I wasn't wearing Aggie maroon!), but I still got quite chilled, ducking outside during our breaks to sun myself like a lizard...

Sun morning I had already pretty much made up my mind to stay home; my sore throat & slowing ascending degree of sinus drainage only cemented that decision. Needless to say, very little housework & ZERO exercise got done emoticon
I did a modified juice fast yesterday: made carrot/celery/apple juice** for brekkers, melted cheese on a baked corn tostada for lunch, salad at dinnertime.
**plain carrot juice for hubs

Ya gotta start somewhere; hopefully I will have NRG for a lite workout this afternoon, but overall I'm listening to this aging carcass & not pushing myself too hard - we've got a busy busy busy rest of the week w/homecoming festivities so I want to be WELL, bright & chipper & able to appreciate it along w/Z as I adjust my taxicab-driver's cap ;-) !

Mixed Bag

Friday, September 28, 2012

I seem to be lucky, at least, in spinning the Sparkpoints wheel here lately! (25 pts today, 10 pts Wed) Too bad that luck doesn't seem to be bleeding through anywhere else...

Looks like as of today, I'm 155 min short of meeting my 600-min monthly fitness goal. I seem to be falling farther & farther behind - last month I was 55 min short (only logged 545 min) of what I considered (at the time I set it) to be a relatively modest goal (averages out to what, roughly 20 min/DAY?!?)

I'm not gonna stress out about it - hopefully I'll make it by the gym today for a shake-down; I'm sore ALL OVER from yesterday's "Intro/Level 1" yoga class. I had not had Master Randy as an instructor, but to me he was putting us through what I consider higher-level poses: balance poses such as tree & eagle (even though he allowed us to back up next to the wall, reaching back for balance as needed, it was STILL hard!), the variation of warrior pose which progresses to a one-legged forward bend (don't remember that name, although if I keep taking classes at this studio, one benefit is that I'll be learning Sanskrit! ;-), hero's pose (which my stiff knees HATE, even though I know that's MY problem to deal with/modify), and ending the class w/halasana (plow pose) - which I USED to be able to do, 30 yrs ago when I practiced yoga regularly! - progressing to full shoulder stands**! Whatever happened to my good ol' savasana (corpse pose)?!?

I think Master Randy was experimenting with us, since he had a couple of ladies that were there to train for certification (i.e. he wanted to see what they could do)... I'll just know for future reference NOT to attend Randy's class unless I REALLY want to feel fat, out of shape, & awkward. He threw out a few hints to me on occasion, but for the most part left me to flounder along back in my "corner of shame" - there again, concentrating on his "star pupils"...

Ay yi yi - live & learn I guess! At least I DID make it over there, using two of the classes on my "4 classes for $20 during the month of Sept" coupon. That's about what I expected - w/the free class I attended on Labor Day that actually works out to 3 classes for $20. In the future their drop-in rate is $15/class. If I am more consistent in my practice, that would actually be worthwhile to brush up on my technique at least once or twice a month.

**while the superstars were vaulting into their inversions, I practiced bridge pose, which has given me a good dose of gluteal soreness today. Much easier to contemplate my physical shortcomings than to upbraid myself for falling off the dietary-moderation cliff. Once again, ya gotta start somewhere. I bought some more carrots & celery for juicing this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment