Saturday, July 24, 2021

Consistency

 Every morning for these past 18 months, P has consumed his oatmeal with a carefully metered scoop of frozen berries… Now for me, oatmeal has never been a satisfactory breakfast since I would be starving by 10 AM - it is working better for me to completely skip it in my intermittent fasting regimen. 


Yesterday, rusty gears seem to be meshing as I urinated out a couple of pounds of bloat - had to get up three times during the night, but it certainly felt nice to wake up and feel the closest thing to a flat stomach Val will ever have! I fasted all day as we met our friends at the local steakhouse last night - yes, I am fully aware a baked potato is not low-carb! but I only ate a few bites of it. And I’ve got half my steak for lunch or dinner today - I’m practicing intuitive eating insofar as I follow Dr. Berg‘s advice to “eat when I’m hungry and drink when I am thirsty”. I felt sad for one of our friends who complained about how resistant her body seems to be to weight loss as I watched her suck down 3 margaritas! 
emoticon  emoticon  
P continues to bask in praise and adulation for his 120-pound loss: it’s true, it’s one hell of an accomplishment! I only hope I occasionally can enjoy the company of my jovial former dining companion (last night, P had the grilled chicken salad and a baked potato which he ate every bite of since it was a rare treat for him - of course he earned those calories at the gym)  
Z is always game to check out new restaurants with me so at least there’s that. 

Today they are riding the Tevis: the historic endurance trail that runs from Lake Tahoe to Auburn for 100 miles over the sierra Nevada mountains. I will be monitoring several of my friends’ progress as I contemplate whether the stars will ever align for me to toe that line again myself. 

Apogee

Monday, October 01, 2012

I keep hoping that things can't get any worse - & then they do! It's like a slow-motion nightmare & I can't wake up; deranged appetite has taken control of my body & it's as if it wants me to top out at a weight I'm ashamed to log in, a weight that will make poor B-boy's leg's tremble under the strain if & when I finally get back in the saddle again! 
(When I "got serious" about lightening Baraq's workload almost 3 yrs ago - Nov '09 - I joked about it being a good omen that my rider # matched my body weight: 223... on the few occasions that we Top Tenned** & had to weigh in, w/saddle & everything poor Baraq was toting almost 250 lbs!) 
**only the top ten finishers have to weigh in like jockeys to have your vet-score points, ride time, & weight calculated to see who takes home the most coveted prize of all, the Best Condition Award. Baraq has done this a couple of times even though we NEVER race (it wouldn't be fair to him) - one of the few occasions when my extra weight comes in as an advantage. 
However, it's well past the stage where the benefits "outweigh" (all puns intended) the overall misery, the looking-like-crap-in-ride-phot
os, and the risks to Baraq's long-term health & soundness. 

IF I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY OWN HEALTH YOU WOULD THINK AS A PURPORTED ANIMAL-HEALTH PROFESSIONAL I WOULD AT LEAST CARE ABOUT THE WELFARE OF MY HORSE!!??!!?? 

& now, many interruptions later, we are approaching the end of this busy Monday - so I will try to flesh out these reflections manana. 
********
(I should’ve learned my lesson a long time ago - I am unable to edit these posts on my iPad so I must wait until I have a few free moments at work computer again)




No comments:

Post a Comment