Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Happy Anniversary

 (I cannot write this phrase, or utter it aloud, without mentally singing the Flintstones version of their silly little song: Happy Anniversary, happy anniversary, happy anniversary, haaaaaappy anniversary!!!)

https://youtu.be/UhMzeGZhxWk?si=RSfL15VwUHHXewZH

Obviously I watched far too many cheesy cartoons as a child - but Zach & Victoria celebrated their unofficial anniversary by taking a mini-weekend trip to Broken Bow, Oklahoma. As much as I joke about sawing through that gnarly ol’ umbilical cord, it’s hard when my phone is pinged by a notification for their AirBnB reservation - my number is still primary on that account! Besides, they needed mommy to feed the dog and cats - Mr. Tyson lost his farm privileges a couple of years ago, when he tried to kill my sweet ol’ Tweedledum over the automatic dog feeder. I know I posted about that fiasco…

https://endurovetssparkjourney.blogspot.com/2022/10/snapshots.html

So lucky for Zach, Labor Day was also a holiday for me - but when I got to the house Monday morning, I found the frog with a dirty half-inch of water and Mila the python with NO water in a filthy cage. There wasn’t any point in lecturing him about it long distance, but I will not tolerate animal abuse/neglect. Reptiles and amphibians tolerate a great deal of this, probably proportionally more so than dogs & cats - there is a great deal of ignorance about proper care despite everyone carrying a mini-computer around on their phones. But in my son’s case it was sheer lack of initiative.

I am the first to admit my own husbandry is often less than optimal. I have felt horrible for Aphrodite and her little oversized goldfish bowl of a water trough, but I finished reinforcements to her ramshackle pen-on-the-pond and we released her into it Monday. Photos will be posted, but I’ll have to admit I was horrified by my own appearance as I had my friend shooting video of her release. (See previous entry about the Venus of Bristol) 😳




1 comment:

  1. I thought of you Tuesday when I had Ember to our local vet. I drew the "newest staff" vet, and read her profile ahead of time, and she's a fan of "exotics", especially snakes, so I told her about you and Aphrodite! She thinks that is soooo cool to be able to take in a gator in need, as you did!

    Meanwhile, I have a mousse to treat Ember's hives and they gave her a bath in the DuoxoS3 shampoo as well, which fits with the pharma recommendations for treatment of fungal/bacterial infections. Plus a short course of antibiotics. We are now on day 3, and hoping that she's feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete