Monday, September 9, 2024

All Shook Up

 I was fortunate yesterday morning when we went riding & my friend Sam volunteered to ride Silas. Dr M’s husband was released from MD Anderson last Wednesday and they drove immediately to come get their pet baby skunk Lily whom we had been babysitting. All went well with his surgery and hopefully I will have Dr M’s help back as usual in another week and a half - that means I can start laying plans for my fall ride schedule. While this seems ludicrous with my meager stamina, it does give me something to look forward to. The next scheduled event is the Pole Canyon ride the first weekend in October (actually there’s a ride in Oklahoma 9/21 but that could be pushing my luck) - I’ve been on the fence as to whether Silas or Baraq gets the nod?

We did a 10 mile out-and-back trail yesterday, and Baraq nearly beat me to death between pulling & jigging when we turned back towards “home”. I had serious doubts those first couple of miles until he simmered down a bit - but there was literally nothing to be done? It wasn’t as if I could dismount & hike it back to the trailer - I couldn’t play take-backs and ask Sam to ride my lil’ fire-breathing dragon; the man is my friend, after all! So this was a minor accomplishment right there, just making it back to the trailer in one piece. I was exhausted afterwards, so even though I should’ve gone to visit my mom, instead I camped out in my living room and watched the Cowboys’ season opener.

So while Mr Silas may be “slow but sure”, he’s the only logical choice to campaign this fall. In other news, Aphrodite has escaped my attempt to make a safe enclosure for her in the shallow end of my pond and is now “wild n’ free” - this is fine by me and thankfully my husband didn’t freak out. We went able to spotlight her (glowing green gator eyes) Saturday night when we got home from our movie date. We went to see “Reagan” - Dennis Quaid did an excellent job in this cheesy puff piece which had Reagan literally riding off into the sunset. Peran was much more enthusiastic, where to even begin? So I did not.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, Aphrodite wild and free? As long as she's safe and able to fend for herself... and the locals know there's a gator around to watch out for... I know my local vet will be thrilled to hear it. A successful rehab, I'm guessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whelp, as long as Aphrodite gets no urges to ramble, all should be well! (Pond is behind our gate; closest neighbor is half a mile away up the hill) We will have to organize the Great Recapture when the weather starts to cool off bcz I think she's too fragile to manage any harsh winter weather...

      Delete