Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Everything Everywhere All At Onc

 (Great movie BTW - I rewatched it last weekend. Hard to describe, but a sci-fi-“ish” mash-up of multiverse time travel & kung fu movies featuring Michelle Yeoh & Ke Huy Quan in an amazing “comeback” performance - he was Indiana Jones’ sidekick Short Round)

At any rate, “everything” continues to swirl around me like a lopsided hurricane… I **might** get a little bit of breathing room if Melissa (my Edward Jones “advisor”, ha ha!) comes through on her promise to pay mom’s invoice at Arabella, that would take a little bit of pressure off! (I’ll call her shortly if she doesn’t call me) If not, I’ll reach down for those boot straps and start yanking. Lucky for me that we are busy at the clinic, so the income will come in as long as people keep paying us for what we do for them. Yesterday was a Manic Monday with emergency surgery for a huge splenic tumor worked in - I kept repeating the mantra “I can do hard things” to myself. My feet were killing me by the time I got home; I had to collapse in the recliner for an hour and a half. 

Also watching disaster unfold in my friend Karen’s life as her daughter struggles with, shall we say, a “difficult coparenting relationship” with her baby daddy. He is bullying and threatening her - came over to pick up the two-year old Saturday afternoon on short notice (they have no formal custody arrangement in place - yes, I’ve been advising her all along that this is vital!) Initially he said he’d bring Leah back Sunday but now he’s keeping her all week and telling (mom) Melissa to “lawyer up”. I took Karen out to dinner Saturday night - there again, money I shouldn’t have spent but she needed a distraction. As I feared, she and her husband are practically raising this grandbaby (Melissa just turned 22 herself) and I don’t have enough time to discuss the drama with the rest of her family - Karen said she feels like Wile E Coyote, standing dazed in the wreckage when all she was trying to do was raise her kids up right; there are no guarantees, are there?? My son still hanging onto me with his bloody, half-severed umbilicus seems like small potatoes in comparison. His only recent mistake** was failing to get his homestead exemption filed, which means we have to pay the full tax bill but he should get a partial refund.



**we shan’t talk about the minor scheduling conflict with his spring classes shall we?

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully Melissa will pony up the money for your mom's living expenses or, if not, she needs her booty kicked. This money belongs to your mom. Not Edward Frigging Jones. Outrageous!

    You, my friend, are a trooper! So glad that you have plenty of cash flowing in right now to keep you above water until this is settled.

    I have always said that children are the cause of gray hair. Their parents gray hair and those of others too. LOL. I feel for Karen. Melissa does need to lawyer up. Whatta mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a great friend to your friends. Now take a step back. Yes, your problems may be less than theirs but you still take it all on your shoulders. Ha, this is me who finally is getting therapy for taking on problems!

    ReplyDelete