Monday, November 14, 2022

Whimpers

 And so, this ride season ends for me with a series of whimpers…

I limped home Friday like a little twisted crab, cramped and painful from the damp cold weather which had descended upon us. Temperatures were dipping down close to freezing and the furnace quit working in my horse trailer so I decided not to go to camp Friday night (this turned out to be a good, prescient decision). I went to bed and slept in for nine hours - it wasn’t perfect rest but it was very nice.

Saturday morning I went to check on my mother, who was laid out in her recliner as if ready to receive Last Rites (Extreme Unction for those of you raised Catholic ;-) but seemed to be recovering from her unspecified respiratory bug. (We did not return to urgent care or the ER in the absence of fever or breathing difficulty, I figured it was best NOT to expose her to all those other sick folks!) She dismissed her home healthcare aide Friday, claiming she didn’t need them. I decided to try to go to camp for one night - unfortunately, my damaged hayrack self-destructed about 12 miles from home. I found a place to turn around and limped back to the house. The ride manager confirmed that she DID need my help on Sunday (the 3rd vet had fallen & given himself a concussion!), so I drove out Sunday morning in my little car as a foot soldier. All went well and I was able to drive home Sunday afternoon to waste the rest of my time watching my Cowboys lose…

So it goes! Trying to psych myself up for another busy workweek but I just ain't feeling it...



2 comments:

  1. Breathe, one foot in front of the next, repeat. Sorry you've had this kind of hiccups in your life of late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way would I have stayed either with no heat and you obviously needed the rest. Sounds like a challenging weekend and I sent a prayer that the workweek would be better.

    ReplyDelete