Wednesday, November 2, 2022

All Souls

 I need to analyze this deep, atavistic dread I have visiting my mother these days - last night I was SO tired but I drove up to check on her because I cannot get their direct phone line to ring through? (I skipped Monday because it was Halloween and I needed to drive directly to Zach’s to get lined up for the trick-or-treaters) Sunday afternoon she wept piteously as she begged to go back to her cottage - as of yesterday she has been in rehab ONE WEEK, they haven’t even done a full evaluation of her physical condition yet.

Depending on who I talk to, this is either a 21-day or a 28-day process - I want her to get the full benefits of rehab (what Medicare will subsidize) but fundamentally it is also her life, she is competent to make her own decisions. If she wants to go back to her cottage in her “splendid isolation”, I’ll just have to hire in extra help - mom was also reporting last night that she thinks Sonia said something about “staying home”. I texted her for clarification but as of yet she has not replied? Just what I need in all my spare time, try to find mom a new caretaker! Mom asked Sonia to wheel her over to her cottage to use her walk-in tub yesterday and Sonia refused - in my book that’s a firing offense right there. I can’t wait to hear Sonia’s excuse when I ask her about it.

The plumbing crew isn’t coming back until Monday, and this morning I have no cream for my coffee. Life is great. My husband seems to spend every waking moment when he is not tethered to his work computer skimming his smart phone. I’m not claiming any special superiority since I lean heavily on ye olde social media myself. 

I still feel pretty rotten physically with shortness of breath and a peculiar heaviness in my chest - I don’t know if you spell that myocarditis or not? Linda snapped a candid photo of me after our Saturday afternoon ride - I look like death warmed over! I’ll see if my fancy concierge physician can see me tomorrow after I help my mother bathe, that’s the least I can do.

Maybe I’m just bored to tears with whatever tale Robert is spinning, but still!!


6 comments:

  1. Not that long ago your mom was begging to go back home and now she is begging to go back to the cottage so that is an improvement to me. It sounds like Sonia is done. I hope that you can get some help for your physical problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whelp I just scheduled a 9 AM consult w/my doctor to see what bright ideas she might have? (Thyroid levels are back to normal, thank God! but the Covid antibody test which I requested is "High" at 12.5 - normal is < 1.0) I don't know exactly what this means - exaggerated autoimmune response?

      Delete
    2. And Sonia finally texted me back - while I HATE texting as primary communication, it's what all the youngsters want to do these days! (not that Sonia is that much younger than me; she's gotta be pushing 50)
      I did not try to discuss the refusal-to-help-bathe episode; Sonia said she doesn't think mom should stay alone (agreed!) but can continue to stay with her during daytime.

      Delete
    3. I was sick for months after having Covid in early 2020. That is how I knew they didn't know when it started or when it arrived in the states because hubby's boss is a world traveler and brought it back to everyone on one of his trips. Long haulers is weird as it affects people differently. I had neuro problems. Horrible dizziness for months. Cognitive problems. I agree about texting. I have no friends currently as they all want to text and it is so archaic to me. Like the pony express. Talking is a lot faster than typing.

      Delete
  2. I sure hope you are careful with that myocarditis, if that's what it is. The covid antibody test... isn't that the one that is supposed to say that you've had it in the past? I'll be interested to see what your doctor has to say about that reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, positive antibodies occur after either natural infection or vaccination. No doubt in my mind that I was exposed last December (I didn't test at the time since symptoms were mild but my friend Karen was (+) - the question I have is whether this prolonged elevated value is "normal" or not?

      Delete