Monday, November 21, 2022

Caveat Emptor

 “Buyer Beware” - although, in this case that turned out to be “Shopper Beware”, and I’m too many decades out from my high school Latin to recall the grammatical difference between “Buyer” and “Shopper”.

Let’s just say the human race keeps on coming up with new ways to frustrate and disappoint me… Mea culpa, I SHOULD have called to confirm but I have a bad tendency to take folks at their word - when Tammy told me she would hold Buckshot for me (no need for a deposit), I presumed that was factual. 

Poor little moron, I was so excited! I texted Tammy when I was about halfway there (she was 3 hrs away in Lockhart), but my heart sank when she responded: “Who is this?”




I’m posting the text exchange purely for my own amusement and edification - but the poor confused soul had sold the horse out from under me to someone she **thought** was me! (“She kept on texting me every day!”) Ai yi yi! I won’t keep beating this sold horse, obviously it wasn’t meant to be - lesson learned by Val: don’t shop via social media, rely on the old tried and true methods of using your real social network - the people you already know! My husband is relieved, although as usual he ain’t talking about it much. I had already fulfilled one part of the bargain - taking Alex-mule over to Janet the trainer’s who was going to show her to a couple of families who might  give her a good home as well as good consistent work. I feel terrible guilt about sending her away but the fact of the matter is she and I never bonded properly - “joined  up” to quote another famous trainer, John Lyon -  she deserves a place where she gets more attention and good steady work that a mule thrives upon.

And if Janet doesn’t find her her person I’ll have a nicely tuned-up mule and we’ll try again…






3 comments:

  1. SNAFU, for sure. Sorry it didn't work out. Good luck with the mule's next home or the retry, whichever it turns out to be. At least you got a relieve husband out of the mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember, YOU can't beat a dead horse. It's a dead deal. Sorry about Alex she has a pretty face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a mess. I don't know that I would want to do business with this woman again. She is way too sloppy. I liked Alex the mule too.

    ReplyDelete