(aka, “Val can rarely bend the universe to her will“)
This movie made a great impression on me as a youngster: it seemed to be often in rotation on late-night TV, which I watched while my parents were enjoying their Game Night festivities with my older cousins. Come to think of it, I probably watched a lot of inappropriate things at a fairly young & impressionable age!?! (I accompanied my folks on their excursions to my cousin's house until I was 11 or 12 yrs old, at which point I was granted the great privilege of "Home Alone" status) What made the most impression on me as a kid was the awesome power of the river: it hurt me worse when Burt Reynold’s character broke his leg, rendering him helpless, than the infamous rape scene. (Don’t get me wrong - that was difficult to watch, too!) And poor drowned Drew with his arm pretzeled around the back of his head - a party trick Ronny Cox was able to do by subluxating his own shoulder...
It took me several attempts to read the book but I finally did - one of the few times I have judged the cinematic version to be superior to the literary experience! Yesterday was an experience in frustration & the general uncooperativeness of the universe, even though I did get a few things done; my day did not unfold neatly as it should - what a laugh, huh??
I had my long-awaited appointment w/the cardiologist yesterday (I was grateful when I made the appt 5 wks ago that it wasn't an urgent situation!?!) - I cleared my Thurs morning schedule "just in case" we needed to proceed with a full cardiac workup. Silly me, as it turned out, all they did was an ECG; I'm scheduled next week for a stress test, & sometime in Sept for an echocardiogram. I had hoped to see Z & deliver his few paltry souvenirs from NM, but he had gone to take an aptitude exam for the Navy? Not that I think the Navy would be a bad choice, kinda following in his grandfather's footsteps, but somehow I don't envision my son as a career sailor...
"He Still Hasn't Found What He's Looking For"
In other news, Tina Fea's condition waxes & wanes - I really though I might be making a hard decision today, but she's brightened up a bit & has regained 2 oz. As long as it looks like she wants to live, I'll keep trying this n' that.
I think you have the right attitude: as long as she seems to want to live, and you aren't making things worse (that ol' "first do no harm" thing). I remember another dog we had that on her final day my hubby carried her down to the park where she could feel the breeze in her fur...
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever seen the movie all the way through, and I know I have not read the book. So many books, and time keeps on sliding on by!
Never seen the movie or read the book. I've a very strong reaction to violence and avoid entertainment like that. I must have been torn apart live in another life.
ReplyDeleteAs to Tina the saying, "as long as she's eating and pooping", comes to mind.