Monday, January 9, 2023

The Mummy Returns

 (What I feel like as I wearily peel myself off the mattress each morning; actually “zombie” is a better descriptor but “mummy” is my homage to Brendan Fraser ;-)

Well, I can say it was certainly a “busy” weekend for me - hopefully all these things will turn out to be a net positive?

Saturday morning, I went to pick up my son’s mule Alex from the trainer, where she has spent a couple of months in “reeducation”. I had discussed with Janet about possibly trying to find her a new home but she was too spoiled for what Janet had in mind (understand Janet has her own reputation to protect as well) I had warned Janet she was barn sour/trailer sour/buddy sour - I spent too many years just helping my son or another junior rider aboard her and all she had to do was follow my horse (Alex is actually awesome out on the trail) - Janet tried to work her out of some of that nonsense.
Saturday afternoon I had to go pay a workman who has been remodeling Zach’s new house, then he granted me the increasingly rare privilege of dinner. It gave me a good opportunity to talk to Zach one-on-one, since I wanted to be sure he & Victoria were having those all-important discussions about finances and household chores. In lieu of rent, Victoria will be paying all the utilities which in my eyes is still one heck of a deal! They seem to be getting on well but of course I worry about my baby - nevermind that when I was 24.5, I had been married for almost 4 years: getting support from my parents since I was still in vet school, but of course handling all our finances (budgeting and paying the bills) just as my mother did in her own marriage.
Sunday morning I went to check on my mom (the usual routine) but I did manage to get her out of her cottage to go see Zach’s house - I think the kitchen and master bathroom remodeling turned out beautifully. (Gotta take some pictures when we get things tidied up)
Then Sunday afternoon, I had another rare privilege - riding with my old friend Karen. Unfortunately, I did not take trainer Janet’s advice on Alex‘s headstall so she did not behave too well! In the end “I won”, even though I wound up dismounting to lead her the last half a mile back to the trailhead. My R knee is feeling those aftereffects, but that’s what ibuprofen is for as I finish my coffee & psych myself up for a busy Monday. My girl Kristy is having her scans to follow up on her (benign) brain tumor - she had surgery 4 years ago but a small residual growth remains. Fingers crossed for “stable, no change”.

The somewhat-intimidating hay ring obstacle


This is Janet’s mammoth gelding Blazen

3 comments:

  1. Kudos on getting her through the ring!
    Your story reminds me of my Heinz 57 mare, Fancy. Stubborn AS a mule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handsome mules! Hope Alex made progress, even if not up to Janet's plans. And I'll keep an extra prayer going for Zach and Victoria... glad you got some mom-son consultation solo!

    Onward to a new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex is really good looking. I would think a lot of people would want Alex.

    Looking forward to the remodel pictures. Glad you could get your mom to go see it.

    ReplyDelete