Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Slow Learner

 I’m ashamed to admit how many times I’ve done this to myself by now (figuratively shot myself in the foot)…

I decided to take Baraq and not Alex-mule in a misguided attempt to forestall arguments or difficulties. I already had doubts about my energy levels & I knew I needed to keep something in reserve since I was working the ride on Sunday, then had to make that 5-hr drive home…

I should’ve held back to the complete rear-vanguard position to keep Baraq in check - if we overtook anyone he could then feel triumphant! But my buddy Chris was shepherding green horses through their first event from that position and told me quite honestly she didn’t want any distractions, so I wound up buddying up with another old friend of mine who SAID she was going to ride a slow to moderate pace (famous last words!) But after the first 2 or 3 miles, Donna wanted to pick up the pace, and Baraq was VERY unhappy to see his new friends leave!

I fought my little trick pony for the next hour and a half - every time someone else would overtake us, the fight was on! I wound up dismounting to lead him back in the last mile to camp, and pulled myself after the first 12.5 mile loop. I guess I can count it as a good training ride? At least he made me look like a good rider with all the spinning and plunging & tap-dancing in place - I definitely did not want to be eating dirt!

I am writing all this down for posterity so I remember these bad, bad feelings of defeat - maybe this time I’ll learn? The only redeeming factor was that Christina was able to ride him Sunday and at least got a good solid 25-mile ride under his girth with a ninth-place finish. I guess no harm, no foul except to Val’s ego. Fortunately both days were uneventful with only a few lameness pulls and no emergency treatments needed - I’m also proud of myself for making that long haul home even though I got home kinda late and I’m just now feeling like I am semi-regenerated on my energy levels - my tail was dragging Monday and Tuesday!

In other news, I signed off with the loan sharks so we should be starting the remodeling project this week. Alex is working for FedEx again & should draw his first paycheck Friday, yippee!

I keep on making excuses not to stop by the gym - I certainly got my strength training in with Baraq on Saturday! but now that that soreness is fading, I need to try to begin anew with my extremely degraded fitness level…



3 comments:

  1. I bet you were exhausted. Baraq is quite a lot to handle. I'm sure you were exhausted. Especially with your work situation constantly requiring so much attention too. Good news about Alex. I hope that P will support you and help you get back in shape. Take it slow and don't overdo. It took me a long time to get over Long Haulers. I love Dave Barry. One of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life and lessons. Some of us repeat a grade now and again (me, too). Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for loans, sort of. Maybe stick a postit on your trailer. "Next time I'm taking....on the ride."

    ReplyDelete