Sunday, February 26, 2023

Last Vet Standing

 (I’m sure that’s a repetition of one of my old Spark blog titles, but whatever!)

Shocking news comes to slap Val upside the head once again - when I glanced at Facebook Friday afternoon (killing time as my girls finished up with our last client of the day), I saw that my friend and colleague Dr Gail Conway unexpectedly passed away. I can only presume it was some sort of cardiac event - he was 69 years old, which sounds younger every damn day!?!

We were just in horse camp together last weekend, trading off riding and vetting duties. (I rode Saturday, Gail rode Sunday) But of course after he was done riding, Gail came over to help me out and socialize a bit… It’s a couple of hours away, but if I’m lucky I’ll be able to at least put in an appearance at the Monday night visitation. (No earthly way I can get away for a Tuesday funeral unless it happens to be my own)

The weather has been cold’ish, drizzly and rainy which exactly suits my mood. Not that I felt like it anyway, but my son has apparently blown off any plans of celebrating my birthday since he did not return calls or texts yesterday. There may be trouble in paradise but Lord knows there’s absolutely zero I can do about it right now. 

At least I had a nice catching-up phone call with my friend Debbie this morning - she is finally back in her house almost a year and a half after an electrical fire. She lost two of her dogs in this tragedy. Our whole little riding community is in a state of shock.

I found a few photos to send to another friend who is putting something together for Gail’s widow. These are from 2017.




  https://memorial.comanchefh.com/gail-conway/5147369/index.php


6 comments:

  1. It sure happens quick, doesn't it?
    Aging and dying, I mean. He's my age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah boy - the man rode 25 mi Sunday, seemed completely fine... Of course I realize these things can come out of nowhere (reminds me to write about one of my earliest encounters with death - the "widowmaker" which claimed our next-door neighbor, a hale & hearty man of 55)

      Delete
  2. So sorry for your loss. Yours, his family's, the riding community, and animal lovers everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry to hear about your friend and colleague. As I get older I have come to realize that losing friends. relatives, and loved ones is the result of living a long life yourself. Most of my relatives are dead. Almost all of my "old flames". Many of my friends. I had relatives who lived to be in their mid 90s and even 100s and, though I doubt I can manage that, I tend to wonder what it is like to outlive almost everyone you know and love. They must have been very good at forming new relationships and I'm not sure I have that skill. Your friend Gail was less than a year younger than me and he was born on my son's birthday. I hope your son remembers your birthday. Hugs and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail's BD = my son's BD as well! My mother often bemoans this fact - that she has outlived "everyone": husband, many family members, close friends, but she will make no attempt to form fresh acquaintances :-(

      Delete
    2. So cool that our sons have the same birthdays. I spent so much of my life working that I'm not sure I know how to have a social life. I sort of adapted to the environment I was put into, like a chameleon. I'm not sure that most people here would find me very interesting.

      Delete