Monday, November 11, 2019

End of the Season Whimper

I count myself lucky that we had one more minor slice of good weather for last weekend's ride; even though it was freezing cold Friday night, thank goodness for my lil' dogs! As I made the decision while both riding & working that this would be my last endurance ride of my less-than-stellar 2018 season (all 160 miles of it). There's no point in me hauling off to FL to rack up 50 more miles that **MIGHT** put me in 6th place - I'd rather cede that to Gail, Lord knows he deserves it.
Scarlotta & I can regroup for next season, maybe plot out an attempted 50-miler.

I'll Take It!

Monday, November 01, 2010

When I finally had the courage to face my cruel work scales (for consistency's sake they're what I always weigh-in on), I am FINALLY just 0.1 lb below 214 lbs.

(Nor do I play mind games w/myself by presuming I can subtract 2 lbs for clothing, 1 lb for shoes - wait a minute, have I emptied my bladder? etc etc...)

As soon as I set my stuff down in my office, I walk onto the scales & record that weight... Certainly on many days, when I weigh-in on my gym's scales at lunchtime, I'm generally 3 - 4 lbs lighter - so probable True Body Weight is below 210. Whoopee, almost a true Middleweight again!

(In my endurance-riding competition, there are 4 weight divisions:
Featherweight: less than 160 lbs
Lightweight: 161 - 180 lbs
Middleweight: 181 - 210 lbs
Heavyweight: 211 lbs +
This consists of rider + tack, just like a jockey! - so I could conceivably continue to compete as a Heavyweight even as my weight sunk down into the 180's - although my own internal limit will be around 200)

Family members comment that I appear thinner - which I suppose must be improved muscle tone; I do my best to accept the compliment graciously while admitting that my actual weight remains virtually unchanged...

Again, I'll take what I can get - especially considering my boy & I were living it up over our Halloween weekend together. Back to my still-evolving routine this week, as we count down 24 days till the Trot!

Back Away from the Scales...

Friday, November 05, 2010

I realize I'm doing NOTHING but torturing myself, yet I am drawn time & time again to creep onto these scales, studying the outcome w/horrid fascination...

I guess I should be proud of myself for possessing one of the most efficient metabolisms in the Western world ;-)!

Seriously, though, I do think the hypnosis CD is helping; at several stressful junctures over this past week** which ordinarily would have me distracting myself w/food, I have contented myself w/a nice cup o' tea, or a soak in the tub...

**What is the origin of that old saying: "Bad things come in three's"...
A.) Riding-buddy family lost their 17-yr old daughter in auto fatality this past weekend (I went to the funeral last Tues.)
B.) Vet school classmate similarly lost his young-adult son in traffic accident in the Panhandle.
C.) My cousin took out a 4-point buck the hard way when he hit him on the Indian Nation turnpike, sending his vehicle hurtling down the embankment, fracturing his pelvis & 1st lumbar vertebra... Obviously could have been much worse - there's no spinal cord damage, thank goodness, but currently he lies in misery in Parkland Hospital (they Care-flighted him down from OK after radiographs were taken) awaiting surgery. Gotta get by the hospital tonight to visit him... (Cousins are the closest I've got to siblings)

So I'll keep plugging along; working hard at the gym & taking care of 'bidness'; quit flogging myself about the small stuff!

Starting Over...

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Of course my SP journey feels like a perpetual "restart" (since I don't seem to be budging off this plateau UUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHH
HHHHHH! mini-primal scream here)
but actually I've referring to restarting my equitation education; got back together w/my dressage instructor yesterday after taking the long hot summer off...
Certainly was starting over, both for me & my horse - he seemed to remember NO-THING of the exercises we had practiced, and once more the dramatic weakness of my left side was made apparent! We did a bit more trotting than our previous lessons, so strangely enough today my L hip & entire abdominal wall is sore; guess I was doing SOMETHING right?!?


Here I am struggling through a turn last May; luckily our photographer (Maddie's mom) was NOT in attendance yesterday!



"The Critical Eye" - actually our instructor is wonderful; she doesn't nag or yell at all



Amira was much more of a natural at this; of course she wasn't stressing about the kids playing & screaming on the other side of that wooden fence!

A little more good news: after a solid week of misery, my cousin should have his spinal surgery tomorrow (GI tract shut down so last week's surgery was canceled; he's been having a miserable time of things w/nausea & a nasogastric tube. Finally had a BM Friday night so they rescheduled surgery for Monday... I told him this is a hell of a way to lose weight - he's been NPO all week! & the poor guy was too miserable to even crack a smile at my weak attempt at a joke...)

Stalemate...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

...is the strange little mind game I've been playing w/myself.

Because obviously OF COURSE it counts, if I eat french fries, candy, cookies or other junk foods; it doesn't matter HOW MANY miles I pound out on the gym treadmill afterwards!

An extra measure of shame & humiliation today: there was a new [fat] guy at my gym today. I nodded & smiled to make him feel welcome (big whoop; I'm sure you made his day), proceeded onto the TM to knock out a fast interval workout since I didn't have much time...
But I had to back off after only one 8.0 MPH interval; not only did I not want to subject the poor man to the spectacle of this flesh propelled into "Ultimate Jiggle" mode at that speed, my R knee is feeling creaky as my GI tract was trying to rebel (serves me right for previous dietary indiscretions, I suppose)...

Ugh! so I settled down to a steady slog, a flat 2.0 mi in 28 min on Cardio Level 4.

Maybe I've got a new gym buddy during my [usually lonely] lunchtime exploits?

Slight Progress...

Monday, November 15, 2010

It's hard to describe what a GOOD FEELING it is, to finally go out & accomplish what I had actually PLANNED last weekend, after a year w/so many setbacks...

Overall, it was an excellent finish to what would otherwise have been a very disappointing ride season (endurance riding season, for some reason runs from Dec to Nov instead of matching the calendar year). Sounds simple enough: Ride 50 mi on Sat, saddle up again & ride 25 mi on Sun. But in these past few months, I've failed time & time again to meet my training goals:

A.) Baraq's sore back in New Mexico; only completed 4 out of 6 days planned
B.) Baraq stiff & lame after Memorial Day ride = non-completion
C.) my OWN stiff back knocked me out of 100-mi ride last April after 72 mi

& a combination of other factors (tired ponies, exhausted self, tough trails, bad travel conditions or all of the above!) kept me from completing other lesser ride goals last spring...

However, things finally came together for the B-boy & I last weekend: a little rain tamped down those deep sandy trails (but then quit raining so it didn't turn into mud!), the storm front cooled things off & blew away the oppressive humidity, & we had a short pleasant haul of less than 2 hrs, giving ponies plenty of time to rest & stretch their legs before Sat's athletic endeavors...

Today I'm sore primarily on the entire "back half" of my body, all the way from the soles of my feet (many hrs standing in those stirrups) to the base of my skull; but the worst of it is my neck, shoulders, & upper back. Yesterday afternoon I was feeling it in my quads & knees too, with a marked gait asymmetry ;-)

(Good thing that RIDERS aren't graded for lameness!)

A nice hot shower yesterday evening, followed later by a warm bath did me a world of good - I daydream today about a lovely massage, but jumping back into the merry whirlwind of my day-to-day life

Changing focus...

Friday, November 19, 2010

I just changed the "mission statement" on my SparkPage - if you look carefully, it now says "neo-paleo" instead of vegetarian...

Try as I might, this ol' carcass needs her protein; something I don't seem to be able to satisfy w/only eggs & cheese. I've been noodling around in nutritional research for some time now, which started w/Tom Naughton's "Fathead" DVD:

www.fathead-movie.com/

This has led me down the Protein Power & eventually onto the Paleo path... w/the most recent purchase of Robb Wolf's Paleo Diet book:

robbwolf.com/

So these days I am steering my nutritional ship on a unique course - hybridizing the "paleo lifestyle"** w/my vegetarian idealism! (I gave up eating beef 18 yrs ago over concerns about animal cruelty/factory farming & the overall safety of our food supply) yet I find myself supplementing my diet w/tortured-chicken meat all too frequently; I would not be morally opposed to eating meat if I could find consistent, humane, ethically-farmed sources...
**but don't worry; I'm not ready to give up soap & water, not to mention shampoo & deodorant! esp not w/the high-intensity interval training I'm been trying to implement means that probably ain't gonna happen until later in the week.

Pulled this off my web-surfing...

Friday, November 19, 2010

"We haven’t evolved all that far from our primate cousins. And for a species, having some genetic diversity in body shapes/fat retention is as advantageous as it is for other traits: it allows at least some individuals to survive/thrive if the environment abruptly changes. Which leads us to environment.
For most humans, their largest problem has been and is obtaining ENOUGH food. In times of temporary surplus, the ability to store energy as fat is a big survival advantage, especially for women... Few societies had enough of a permanent surplus that its disadvantages would eliminate many individuals with it from the gene pool, especially since obesity related problems tend to appear after the age of child-bearing. [sic]
We are getting fatter because the gene(s) has/have more opportunity to be expressed, i.e. food calories are now readily available in calorie-dense forms. And so we will eat to the point where we are at the weight our genes have programmed us to be.
What we will eat varies, but only those who are willing to accept being at least a little bit hungry all the time and maintaining a higher activity level will be able to keep their weight lower than what they are genetically predisposed to. And it requires constant vigilance because your body wants that weight back."

Frustration & Elation...

Monday, November 22, 2010

...in roughly equal proportions this weekend - when I couldn't blog from recalcitrant home computer this weekend, don't ask me why?
Downloading photos w/revamped system/new hard drive was a challenge too - didn't want to harass Hubby too much (he made it clear it was enough of a sacrifice, getting up early Sat morning to go hike the 3.1 mi event in my wake!) - not to mention I haven't invited him onto SP; probably not his cuppa tea anyway.

So, the elation => knocking out 3.1 mi at the "5K" event Sat morning in what was a blazin' time of 41:29 for me! (Hubby hiked it in about 12 min later). Didn't hang around for awards to see what the FASTEST times were, that would have been too discouraging. I knew the course felt short - a nice flat loop thru a beautiful park, down the road to the cemetery (hmmmm, a little hidden meaning there perhaps?), & back along the great hike n' bike trail...
Gotta take my boy back w/our bikes!
Princess drew accolades as "the smallest dog to ever compete in this event", & surprise that she ran the whole thing - yes, of course she did, she was towing me! I could have handed her leash to the front-runners & really watched her go...

Frustration comes from being stuck in the exact same place on my damned scale, but as I gradually tweak my diet, hopefully that will shift.

An Oldie but Goodie...

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

...which I pulled off my other blog, written in '06! Tonight my brain is fried (no new material); I hosted 4 of Z's classmates so they could work on their Social Studies project this afternoon.
This puppy's TIRED.
Then after returning the crew to their respective families, we had to caravan across town to pick up our Turkey Trot race packets, woo hoo!
I can hardly wait - our first running event TOGETHER!

I've been mulling over a question posed by Scott re: why running?? which is a good one...
I could be flippant & reply that I'm actually an inveterate masochist cleverly disguised as your Friendly Neighborhood Veterinarian (woo-hoo! I'll post pix of my bondage equipment -- JUST KIDDING!) -- next thing ya know, I'll be submerged in perverts! Reminds me of a hilarious column by RMM many moons ago -- when he had to explain to airport security (this was pre-9/11) his suitcase of equine AI equipment: EQUINE artificial vagina, twitch, hobbles, & so forth...
But believe it or not, even though I'm slow as molasses, I honestly enjoy the sensation of pushing the ol' bod along the path -- & I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the low-grade endorphin rush which sets in about an hr postrun & keeps me on a natural high for a good solid 24 hrs. (That's why most runners like to "do it" EVERY DAY.) I can't say I've ever experienced the true "runner's high" -- yes, it looks like I'm struggling out there BECAUSE I AM!!! I laughed about my dizziness around Mile 9 of my 1st half-marathon, but I blame that 100% on hypoglycemia (this time I'm packing my OWN Power Gel!)

Trot On!

Friday, November 26, 2010

I had my doubts yesterday morning - w/gray clouds scudding in, & a little light rain as we were leaving our place...
The temperature was also dropping rapidly (aka Welcome to Texas - what we tell folks who complain about our amazingly changeable climatic conditions; after all, Tues afternoon we were sweating in 85 degree heat; & I went down to the barn early Thurs AM in a T-shirt) - by the time we reached downtown Big D, I was regretting NOT purchasing the sleek UnderArmour sweatpants** I admired at Sports Authority Tues night...
I knew we would warm up as we started Trotting, & as we maneuvered our way into the HUGE crowd (over 30,000 attended this event!), the cold didn't bother us at all.
I carried Princess for the first half-mile since she was intimidated by the massive crush of people, dogs, & baby strollers - yet it remained an exercise in broken-field running as we threaded our way through the crowds of walkers until we crossed the finish line in 44:20.
Several times I told my boy to go on ahead & wait for me at the flagpoles, but he wanted to stay w/Slow Mom... Soon enough he'll be leaving me in his dust.

**I told myself after 5 more lbs, I could have 'em - after all, $49 for sweatpants? I'm accustomed to buying the cheap ones at WalMart: you know, the ones that shrink up, that pill & fade, that don't last... Of course it would be my boy, w/his expensive tastes, who has sold me on the UnderArmour brand, w/their high-tech fabrics & persuasive advertising. But the proof is in the pudding, I suppose - since I feel COOL in my UA hoodie, but like a big fat schlump in my tacky WM sweats...

My Core is Sore...

Saturday, November 27, 2010

... as I have started BACK on my program of core-strengthening exercises.

I rolled out of bed yesterday w/a grimace, then realized what had done it to me: just a few selections from the book I found at B & N a few months ago (after my disastrous wash-out at the 100 mile event last April, when Baraq was still goin' strong @ 72 mi but MY back had locked up!)

This weekend is a "stay-cation"; there's a ride in S TX but I'm trying not to dwell on it as I catch a glimpse of brilliant blue skies out of the corner of my eye - clear cold weather after the rain clouds blew away, perfect for riding!

But there again, I had nothing at stake at the end of this ride season**, & my boy was begging to just stay HOME - a chance to vege out, play his XBox, hang out w/his friends... The house is strangely silent this AM, since he spent the night w/his BF.

**I am actually antsy for the final points & mileage to be tallied; there's a remote possibility that w/our surprise Top Ten finish 2 wks ago, Baraq may have actually elevated us into the Heavyweight standings! The one & only advantage of being greater than 210 lbs is that the competition thins out significantly - the "bulk" of our TX riders seem to be Middleweights (181 - 210), ar ar...

Of course there are scads of Lightweights (161 - 180) & Featherweights (less than 160) - one of the worst things for me to listen to - from a standpoint of truly being SYMPATHETIC - is hearing one of my Featherweight friends agonize over how they're going to make their weight requirement of 165 lbs for an FEI event... Yes, like jockeys, they will use weighted saddle pads, weighted vests or otherwise pile it on to make it a more level playing field.
There are even a few custom saddles, w/special chambers to which lead shot had be added.
Doesn't your heart bleed for 'em?!?
emoticon

I've tried innumerable times to motivate myself by imagining how much faster Baraq could go if I peeled off as little as 20 lbs... but that is also a double-edged sword: the faster he travels, the potentially harder I could hit the ground when he unseats me! emoticon

A Matter of Perception...

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Woke up earlier than I'd planned, so why not hit the keyboard? A series of bad dreams left me unwilling to try to go back to sleep...

The strange thing is, in these dreams I am always thin (relatively speaking); it's as if the fact of my slow steady weight gain over the years has not sunk into my subconscious.

Not the 30 lbs I've gained since my marriage to P, eight yrs ago.

Not the 40 lbs since my thyroidectomy over 20 yrs ago.

Certainly not the 60 lbs since 1st marriage at the ripe ol' age of 21 (25 yrs ago), & not even CONSIDERING the 75 lbs since high school!

That's why I set my goal to my modest Middleweight standing = 30 lbs. I can't realistically hope to lose much more body weight than that, not now that I'm pushing 50. Especially in light of my awesome progress in these past 7 mos on SP - NOT!

Oh well, I should be grateful that at least I haven't gained any MORE weight... I'll have to admit, it was a big letdown when I weighed in a couple of wks ago at the ride, to see that I've lost a net total of TWO LBS.

But now my donkeys are braying for breakfast, so I'd better go feed 'em. Today's a new day, after all.

Right Back Where I Started From...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

...but I tell ya what, I am beyond thrilled that w/only a single day of "clean living", I find myself back at 212.5!

I knew most of my weight gain (2 lbs) from Turkey Day had to be mostly sodium & water retention - yes, I indulged myself, but not that badly.

In my family, it's virtually EXPECTED that you will gorge yourself at my aunt's bounteous feast on Thanksgiving Day; luckily for me after my Trot, I honestly wasn't all that hungry! Of course I still fixed myself a plate w/little bits of everything, but it took me a long time to finish it. And I had to sample my aunt's perfect pecan pie...

The problem was quite frankly the REST of the weekend - I was regretful at missing out on my ride, so I soothed that anxiety w/snacks... No surprise about my weight gain; I'm just lucky it wasn't MORE.

So yesterday I skipped lunch, hit the gym, & drank 4 cups of green tea over the course of the day. I was peeing like a racehorse - & thankfully this morning I felt less bloated, so I took a chance & stepped back onto the scales.

An amazing feeling - one of the few times my body has cooperated w/my self-improvement efforts emoticon

It does great things for ye olde motivation: Middleweight status, here I come!

So Much for a Relaxing Weekend...

Saturday, December 04, 2010

...Of course I knew this particular one would be anything but, since it was the weekend of Z's State Karate Tournament championship down in Austin!

I made it unintentionally (but perhaps subconsciously?) harder on myself, since I had a delusion that we** might all come together for Z's sake, in a show of support for his hard work this year in tae kwon do...
**by "WE" I am referring to my parents & my husband who have a long-standing rift of almost 7 yrs' duration - let's just say "It's Complicated" on too many levels to go into a detailed explanation here; can we refer to irreconcilable cultural & religious differences? With the bottom line from my parents' perspective being that you don't even give a HINT of being (emotionally or psychologically) abusive towards their only grandson, can we leave it at that?
(& P would certainly be DEAD MEAT if there were any evidence of physical abuse - my dad would kill him presuming I hadn't done him in first ;-) !

I'm not so delusional to presume that Z's bio-dad would have troubled himself, although he DID call...

Anyway, I wasn't certain until just a few days ago that P was in fact coming down, & by then it was too late - the hotel was booked up; I had only reserved a single room!
Foolish me, to presume that we could all just suck it up & bunk together for a single night - there again, for Z's sake, pretty please?!?!?

My parents were furious w/me for trying to force such intimacy, but if I had told 'em P would be there, they wouldn't have come at all - so a minor deception was justified in my opinion, since it was very important to Z that they be there to watch the culmination of a hard season's work. Sue me, I guess!

So what wound up going down was that Mom & Dad drove all the way back home last night after Z's FIRST PLACE FINISH in his age division (12 - 17). I was more than a little stressed out, since I didn't think they should be attempting that 180-mi haul (I had driven a little over half of the trip down) at that time of night (they set out at almost 9 PM last night).

I'm going to file a complaint w/Crabtree & Evelyn, since I used half the sample bottle of their Relaxing Body Wash & it did NO good...
emoticon

I slept fitfully last night, awakening a little after 7 AM w/the lovely hotel gym calling to me... I knocked out 5K on the TM & then had a relaxing dip in their beautiful salt-water pool.

Fabulous. Miraculous proof of the therapeutic value of exercise! emoticon

As soon as I unearth the data cable, I'll try to download some photos. I will title the one of Z's bruised R shoulder (where he repeatedly smacked his bo staff) "Dedication". Unfortunately my camera was MIA for the actual tournament, but another parent snapped a couple of photos for me...

Persistence v. Hormones

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Well at this stage I'll take whatever small progress I can get... which appears to be 0.8 lbs for 7 days of persistent workouts!

In the mad rush of getting out the door Monday morning, I failed to repack my gym bag, so that was an enforced day of rest. Felt strange to force myself to relax.

Now, of course the holiday season is upon us full-swing, w/my lovely clients bringing us treats. I have joked too many times that it's next-to-impossible to stay on any sort of diet around here. Yesterday we received a cheesecake, a smoked turkey, CC cookies, chocolate-covered macadamia nuts, & caramels...

We are either very well-loved, or being bribed! emoticon

I can also detect mild bloating & that craving for chocolate that accompanies my irregular cycles - at this point it ain't too bad. I am keeping my water bottle full, & just restocked w/Larabars. If I can get through this month just holding steady, I will be content.

A Great Article re: Intuitive Eating

Tuesday, December 07, 2010

...which proves that sometimes my compulsive Web-surfing turns up good information occasionally!

http://www.examiner.com/intu
itive-eating-in-raleigh/in
tuitive-eating-your-way-to
-a-movement-love-affair

So then I followed Latoya back to her website...

http://www.transformativeeat
ing.com/

And found further stores of great information:

"5 ways to help you create some weight prevention habits:

1) Decide or believe that it’s possible to maintain a stable weight. For years, I have read and heard others voice fears about how it’s more difficult not to put on pounds as we age. It’s almost like people are resigning themselves to the fate of weight gain. I am willing for my life to be a new experiment and a new experience. I have a fundamental belief that the body has natural and intelligent mechanisms for keeping weight stabilized. In fact, I read a scientific article showing that the body has the ability to recognize the amount of calories in food. So, as long as I am supporting those mechanisms by eating and moving for what my body needs, I feel confident in being able to experience my natural healthy body weight.

2) Accept that your body needs to move regularly. Kick “exercise” to the curb, if you don’t like it, and experiment with ways that your body loves to move: dance, walk, jump rope, toss a ball, play a sport, find a set of movement practices that you are eager to do consistently. For more on this, read my article: Intuitive Eating Your Way to a Movement Love Affair. (see above link)

3) Practice eating intuitively. Learn and honor your true biological hunger and fullness signals. Respond to your body when your stomach growls and discover the point where you are satisfied and make eating to the point of “stuffed” a habit of the past.

4) Feel the difference that whole nutrition makes. Even though candy bars can give me a spike of energy, I’m sure that, like me, you’ve experienced the crash after. Also, when I take the time to taste and savor high sugar, and therefore higher calorie processed foods, I naturally eat less of them. A fresh orange or crunchy apple can give me the same, if not more pleasure, than the taste of processed foods and my body has a better time too!
5) Learn to live your life without using food to cope with your emotions. Create your own self-care plan (i.e., your own emergency escape route) of more skillful alternatives to soothe yourself, when you want to reach for food to calm yourself after stress or a long day or to get you through boredom, anxiety, or anger."

Mirror, Mirror

Thursday, December 09, 2010

You might think I was completely unfamiliar w/these novel devices...

It's still a shock to my system when I see that unflattering photo, or catch a glimpse of myself in that full-length mirror. Not to mention I've conveniently misplaced my camera's data cable, so I can't download a confessional-style photo here! (nowhere near as brave as RUNNINGOLLIE, for instance)

But as part of my core training, I am perfecting my form in front of the impartial floor-to-ceiling mirrors at my gym (only when I have the place to myself)... Starting w/basic squats, overhead presses, a few floor exercises. I notice how my flesh has 'settled' around my hips & lower abdomen; guess I'm not as apple-shaped as I once thought! I need to take measurements, but the back fat layer under my sports bra seems to be shrinking.

I'll diligently search for that cable - the photos would be nice to have, as a record of my own persistence... A few years back, I was horrified by the bat wings which were evident on my upper arms in the typical "Yee-haw!" raised-arm posture on the Titan; I could rationalize a lot of that to wind resistance emoticon
but seriously, my arms seem to be toning up...



Home computer locks up every time I pull up this "Blog Entry" window, so I'm left w/sneaking time on work computer - may commandeer my son's laptop this weekend! www.ultimaterollercoaste
r.com/coasters/yellowpages
/coasters/titan_sfot.shtml



No comments:

Post a Comment