Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Moth & The Flame

 Once again Val has screwed up - I did not cancel my monthly membership to the acupuncture clinic, so I’m on the hook for another month’s worth of these treatments. While I can’t discern any earth-shattering health improvements, it does seem to help my sleep quality. Unfortunately the clinic changed their schedule & is no longer open on Thursdays, which is the main reason I signed up! So I have been trekking up there on Tuesday nights and either Saturday or Sunday…

Last night when I emerged from the soothing dim lights & mellow music, I saw that I had a missed call from my son (of course NO CELL PHONES in the treatment area, which is a great thing - I need to set aside the technology more often!). A short game of cat & mouse ensued because of course, when I tried to call him back he didn’t answer, but I could see his location so I headed thataway… we finally linked up at Aldi where I accompanied him on a short stroll browsing through the store. I couldn’t bring myself to buy anything even though I’ve been daydreaming about what I might have for dinner as I lay on the acupuncture table - now nothing sounded good! The fundamental problem was that I didn’t feel like cooking - I wound up going through a drive-through and buying a couple of tacos; not the best nutrition but far from the worst.

Zach is getting stressed out about my financial predicament - I appreciate his concern but him coming up with what I consider harebrained schemes (like selling off rental properties) would be counterproductive. Mea culpa for oversharing - it isn’t that I expect him to solve any of these problems; I’m just trying to use myself as a prime example of how not to manage your money.

He called me as I was getting ready for bed and talked my ear off for another half an hour until I told him we both needed to get some sleep: worrying about these things was no longer helpful! I have to hold on until the first week of December when Dr. W is coming to pick up the surgery trailer…”Every day in every way I’m getting better and better!” (10 points if you can identify that quote)

2 comments:

  1. What about Bob?

    Hang in there... it's great when "the kids" start picking up and taking care of us, or worrying about us, in my opinion. We spent years worrying about them (and will until the day we die), but it's awesome to know the favor is returned.

    Still, we all need sleep! Hope you got a good night's rest... things always seem to look better in the morning, to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been too many years since I’ve seen “What About Bob?” (but thanks for the suggestion; I’ll have to put it on my list!) - whom I was referring to was Chief Inspector Dreyfuss from the Pink Panther, the indomitable Herbert Lom! (Rewatching “The Pink Panther Strikes Again” as I type; in need of a good laugh)
      (Val)

      Delete