Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Idiocracy

"You are obese and sick BECAUSE you are IMPULSIVE."

Coupled with JT's thought-provoking tweet from last week: "If your actions don't align with your goals, then you don't have GOALS, you have FANTASIES."

It doesn't appear I will ever learn, as I groan with indigestion from fuckin' Popeye's chicken - I thought you had accepted that your formerly gargantuan appetite is more in line with that of a normal postmenopausal woman?!?

Galloway Intervals...

Friday, March 04, 2011

Today I made it by the gym to knock out my 4 mi - a little hard getting started, so after my 1st mi I started the "Galloway Intervals" (which I believe I originally heard of from LUV4CHOCOLATE): run 90 sec, walk 30 sec.

This seemed to enable me to pick up my pace a little bit, which is exciting! Who I'm worried about most is my son, who has barely trained at all - being young & reasonably fit otherwise only takes you so far. He was incredibly bored w/last weekend's trip to the gym; he did about 1.5 mi while I did 4... I told him good training can make the difference between having a lot of FUN vs having a completely miserable time - bcz MOMMA AIN'T QUITTING!

I suppose we'll set up as we did for the Turkey Trot - both carrying our cell phones... I'll put Hubby on alert that if Z washes out, he just has to stand ready to swoop by & pick him up - there's no such thing as a SAG wagon for this event!

I don't want to add anything to the already-heavy burden my son has to endure w/his disruptive schedule - before someone jumps my a$$ to accuse me of interfering in that all-important cultivation of The Paternal Bond - be careful; I don't suffer fools gladly! We're talking about the man who threatened BOTH of our lives, who waged a destructive & vindictive custody battle against me when I learned of the abuse/neglect my son suffered while under his father's "care", & who gives me shining examples virtually every week as to how little he truly cares for his son's welfare... The best I can hope for is that the love & support Z gets from me, his stepfather & his grandparents, coupled w/his ferocious intelligence & drive, is enough to sustain him into adulthood w/minimum psychological scarring inflicted by his father.

Sorry, I didn't really mean to go off on a tangent - funny what bubbles up in your psyche after a good run!

Idle Speculation

Monday, March 07, 2011

As I gingerly stretch my hip flexor - but my knee feels much better after a short elliptical session at the gym today, thanks very much!

Ai yi yi - I'm getting too old for this sh!t. Brought my angel-girl Alex The New Mule home on Saturday - here I was worried about the snapping tarp when I unloaded her from the trailer yet THAT wasn't the booger, it was the GOATS!
I led her down to the barn to put her in a stall for a while as she got acquainted w/her new home & companions... The curious goats trotted down just as I led her into her stall & she flattened me against the concrete as she sought an escape route...

I really don't know exactly what kind of damage I did - torque, flex, twist, bruise - as I hit the deck & bounced up again as quickly as I could to get out from under those hooves! My knee was pretty stiff & swollen, but today I feel soreness all the way from knee, up through hip flexors, lower back, & base of my neck. Geez.

So needless to say, I didn't get my "long run" in this weekend - I wore my lycra knee brace all weekend & today most of the swelling is down; went by the gym for warm-up on elliptical. Fortunately no pain WITHIN the joint.

Also fortunate that horseback riding is painless - I took Miss Alex out to our local trails when the winds died down yesterday & she did GREAT. She has a wonderful floating trot (which we didn't do very much of, taking it slow n' easy thank you very much!), but Momma needs to rig a bigger headstall for my big girl! (The throatlatch lacked about 6" but I managed to rig an extra strap for a temporary fix.) Everything was great until the dismount - apparently I startled her when I slid down & she jumped sideways - sorry, baby girl, Momma's fault!
She jerked the reins out of my hands & ran to the far side of the parking lot.

Mixed bag...

Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Or, to borrow a line from Dickens: "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times"...
The good: lil' rescue terrier Lupita is doing fine; I spayed her last week & had to extract 2 fractured teeth, but she'll be fine. Struck out w/one potential new owner, but I'm sure the right owner will show up soon!
The bad: son came home completely exhausted after weekend at his dad's... Wouldn't go to karate, general Extreme Bad Attitude regarding everything (direct consequence of exhaustion). Full of q's about new truck, new trailer, & new mule until I called a stop to the interrogation... Felt suspiciously like he had been coached by his dad (Z's already made oblique reference to how child support must be underwriting new vehicle)
Is it paranoia if somebody truly IS out to get you?
The ugly: I cranked out 2 slow n' easy mi on the TM; knee feels internally unstable although no acute pain. Should not have gone w/out brace today!

Fed Up...

Wednesday, March 09, 2011

I realize I am an absolute glutton for punishment under certain circumstances, but I am just FED UP w/this so-called "friend" of mine...

I am tired of the snide comments which are made w/the very BEST of intentions, I'm sure - but still add up to a lot of insensitive & hurtful sh!t, there's just no point to it...

Maybe it's true, I just want all of my friends to be empty-headed Yes-men, but c'mon, give me an ever-loving BREAK! Ya gotta shine a little bit of support on me every once in a while; it can't be all stick & no carrot...

"I love how you pay out the wazoo for trucks & trailers, but don't want to pay much for mounts. Gotta skrimp somewhere"

I tell ya, it gives me a lot more pride when I make good mounts out of my rejects, renegades, & rescues than any satisfaction that would result from going out & "paying through the wazoo" for a ready-made equine. (Besides, L has NO EARTHLY IDEA how much I paid for Alex; overall the mule market has held its value much better than the horse market - I ain't no horse or mule trader besides! Ralph was asking the same price he had since I first went to check her out 2 yrs ago; he's an older guy who needs to move some equines out of his pasture & I wasn't going to haggle w/him.)

"The mule is Zach's? Hope he'll condition her."

I guess I should cut L some slack, since she's never been married & has remained childless. One of the few benefits to Z being away so much is that we can, in fact, SHARE her. I am hitting the jackpot this spring since I will have Z for the upcoming ride this weekend, as well as 2 rides in April & 2 in May. That's a significant chunk of mileage we can rack up together.

Of course every rainbow has a dark cloud behind it (or some other such awkward metaphor). Mr B bruised his L shoulder, acting the fool when Miss Alex came home: I don't think he got kicked, I think he ran into the hay rack or some similar immovable object in all the excitement. So he'll miss this weekend's ride; I'll just take the Hubby Horse, Mr Champ; we'll do Limited Distance (25 mi) & have a grand old time...

"10.5' are only for 1 or 2, but cramped for 3? How long do you need for 3, 4 or more if you have more than 1-2 kids? 4', 6', & 8' are uninhabitable?"

I know this statement makes no sense whatsoever, but she's referring to the size of the living quarters in my new trailer - I had made mention of the fact that it will be a bit crowded w/my 10.5' living quarters w/3 people (myself & the two kids this weekend; on Monday we'll be meeting up w/Maddie's dad for the handoff for the rest of HER Spring Break)...
L's own trailer has tiny 4' living quarters - which there again, is FINE for one person. I appreciate having the sleeper sofa, the full-sized fridge, & full shower in my bathroom. To each his or her own! Hell, L had joked w/me previously when I was first mentioning trading in the motorhome, how on earth would I fit all my stuff (& Z's) into a conventional horse trailer?!?

(We'll find out tomorrow as I make the final big push of packing)

Catching Up...

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Well WE'RE BAAAACK from our fun-filled Spring Break jaunt (which wasn't exactly 100% "fun" but what is these days? I won't waste precious time b!tching about it too much here ;-)
But lemme tell ya, it takes more than 2 d to catch up on a solid week of lousy sleep... Yesterday I was a ground sloth (although I DID make it by the gym, that was my major achievement of the day), & this morning I am finally beginning to feel halfway-human again.

(& now my young man is awake; I was desperately hoping that he would sleep in a little later; it's only 8:30 so this will be a short update)

As it is w/most vacations, I basically threw caution to the winds so I'm dreading what those scales reveal Mon AM - hopefully not too much damage has been done. I took the kids to Dairy Queen for several visits; we "ate it up" like there was no tomorrow when we were visiting my friends at the coast. Unfortunately we didn't make it onto the beach for a ride, but just took a short jaunt around the neighborhood. (J discovered that her limit for riding, after 40-some-odd yrs, was about 30 min. We were out for an hour & her legs were paining her --- circulatory issues related to her diabetes. Thankfully Mr Champ performed flawlessly, understanding that this was a "slow n' easy" ride, & the stable had a mini-staircase like contraption since she offered therapeutic riding. I'll try to post a few iPhone photos!)

& thanks to SparkFriends for good advice - I've hardly concerned myself w/hurtful remarks from so-called "friends" - Mr B's shoulder seems to be alright so I'll ride him this afternoon.
Darlin' Miss Alex performed flawlessly, completing her 1st 25-mi ride at a moderate pace w/no problems. She was a good traveler & a great camper - Z is thrilled w/her as am I!




No comments:

Post a Comment